Croatia or Morocco?

Options
Booking a last minute break this week to leave on Monday. 6 nights. DIY rather than package.

Can't decide between these 2 countries. We can get both for under £400pp hotel & flights. Leaves us a healthy spend budget of £500 for the holiday.

We're both v tired, but get energised by seeing new places and doing different things. We'd be happy taking it slow for a couple of days, but would be bored by day 3.

Just wondering what your experiences are of these places and if you'd recommend either, or specific towns in either country. Thanks.

Comments

• Toucan_toucan
    Options
    Where in Croatia? It's a big place. No point suggesting Istria if you've found flights to Dubrovnik! Likewise Morocco - if the flights are to Agadir I'd say "avoid", but to Marrakesh then maybe not.

We loved Croatia, but went to the Istrian coast (flew to Pula). Loads of outdoor activities, wine tasting if you fancy it, plus roman ruins and scenic inland villages. Renting a car a must to explore properly but driving is easy.
  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,088 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Spent a day in Morocco during a recent cruise, had a great 4x4 excursion from Agadir, saw some very interesting places you wouldn't normally get to see. However I'm not sure I would want to spend 6 nights there.
  • suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Never been to Morocco so cannot offer an opinion. However, I am currently in Cavtat in Croatia. It is amazing. Quiet village, have travelled to Dubrovnik twice via water taxi, where it is very busy even on non cruise ship days. Weather perfect. Croatians very pleasant.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
  • vicker
    vicker Posts: 191 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Croatian flights to Zadar/split.

Morocco flights to Marrakesh.

I stopped looking for different cities when I saw prices as I figured I needed to choose a destination before flight trawling 2 countries.
  • Luke1066
    Luke1066 Posts: 68 Forumite
    Options
    I've just come back from Split, thoroughly enjoyed it and I am well travelled. Visited Dubrovnik a couple of years ago which was also beautiful.

You could do Split and Hvar or one of the other islands. Croatia is in my top three of places I have visited.
  • Supersavera
    Supersavera Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Croatia is amazing and 6 years ago it was quite cheap.We spent much less on food and night life than we expected. Strongly reccomend, sights, beaches and wonderful landscapes
    We don’t inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,225 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Regarding Morocco, I would not stay more than a couple of days in Marrakech with perhaps a day trip to the mountains. You could get a train to Fes to stay for a day or two. The souk is much better than at Marrakech in particular the leather tanneries which are astonishing. This is one place in Morocco I would get a guide who can take you to workshops etc. that you would not normally be allowed to see. But do it via the tourist office as there are lots of unofficial 'guides' of varying quality.

I also like Rabat although there is not a great deal there. It is close to Casablanca but that is only worth a half day - visit the enormous mosque and a walk along the corniche by the sea and you're done.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,352 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    martindow wrote: »
    Regarding Morocco, I would not stay more than a couple of days in Marrakech with perhaps a day trip to the mountains. You could get a train to Fes to stay for a day or two. The souk is much better than at Marrakech in particular the leather tanneries which are astonishing. This is one place in Morocco I would get a guide who can take you to workshops etc. that you would not normally be allowed to see. But do it via the tourist office as there are lots of unofficial 'guides' of varying quality.

I also like Rabat although there is not a great deal there. It is close to Casablanca but that is only worth a half day - visit the enormous mosque and a walk along the corniche by the sea and you're done.
    Though watch out for some of these behind the scenes factory tour type trips, they're often a prelude to a hard sell on overpriced products. Definitely is if they tell you it's a "women's co-operative" or suchlike :rotfl:
  • sarah69696pink
    Options
    Having been to both I'd personally recommend Croatia....you can go as fast/slow paced there are you like.
    Marrakech is a great experience in my opinion, but not something I'd want for 6 days!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure