Depression... PIP?

Options
Hello,

I have no idea about PIP as don’t know anyone who claims it. My husband has been suffering depression for a year almost, now on his third antidepressant and it’s getting no better. He has symptoms like not being able to get out of bed in the morning, doesn’t care about anything, will blow money to try and make him happier (that is in hand now that I have control of all finances). He doesn’t feel suicidal, but that he just “wants to rot.”

After he lost his job last year and had to leave uni for another reason, we’ve been on Universal credits now and I work, have always worked. He’s worked since he was 16, but anyway, we are in a dilemma as the only other thing the GP could offer was CBT via telephone he’s on the waiting list but it’s 4+ month wait. I feel like he’s quite bad at the moment so we’ve started private therapy, I’ll try anything to get him better again.

But obviously private therapy is £160 a month and I can’t work additional hours as this just reduces our UC and makes his more stressed when he has to look after our 2 kids more. Would we be able to claim any support for this therapy with PIP? If not I feel like there isn’t enough support out there for mental health, if we can no longer afford the therapy then what do we do, wait until he gets suicidal and then he might get more assistance?

Appreciate any words of wisdom or your thoughts

Thanks

Comments

• Clouds88
    Clouds88 Posts: 386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I just wanted to add, I am not one for trying to play the system or wanting lots of benefits. If you think that it’s not enough for PIP then we’ll have to try and cope. It’s a catch 22 though, I cannot wait until he is well enough to go back to work so we can come off of UC and support ourselves, but he’s been trying to get ‘better’ for a year now and has only got worse. Therapy is our only option at a price, but I’m hoping it will help so that he can get better and secure employment ect again. Bloody stress!
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,761 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 February 2019 at 11:49PM
    Options
    You won't get PIP for therapy, but if he qualifies for it he can spend it on what he likes.
    It's not about the diagnosis, it's about the additional support he needs on a day to day basis. Have you had a look at the descriptors to give you an idea as to what might apply?
    This includes a case study about depression.

https://www.rethink.org/resources/p/personal-independence-payment-pip
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Clouds88
    Options
    Thanks I’ve just had a read. I am not sure he will qualify as most don’t apply to him. He doesn’t suffer with anxiety, just depression. He can talk to people if he has to but isn’t motivated to leave the house unless he’s been asked by me/school run ect and even then he can go alone. He can’t budget, as an effect of his MH he just blows his money as I said but I think that question on there is more to do with autism?

He had OCD and depression back in 2012 and was treated successful with therapy then, although it wasn’t as severe. That was on the NHS, just wish there was more support available.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    PIP isn't awarded based on a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities based on the PIP descriptors.

Have a look at the descriptors here.
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/Global/Migrated_Documents/adviceguide/pip-9-table-of-activities-descriptors-and-points.pdf

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/money-legal/benefits-entitlements/personal-independence-payment/

Evidence will be needed to support a claim and should be sent when returning the forms. Don't rely on the contacting anyone for any evidence because they rarely do.

Expect him to have a face to face assessment as most people have them, it's rare to have a paper based assessment.

A claim for PIP can take several months, depending on backlog in your area.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,761 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Don't forget that promoting also counts as support. So if he wouldn't bother making or eating a meal without you reminding him, even if he doesn't need physical help, that would indicate he has some support needs. For example.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    Don't forget that promoting also counts as support.
    I think you mean prompting here, rather than promoting.

OP this link will help you understand those descriptors and what they mean.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-the-assessment-criteria
  • Clouds88
    Options
    Thank you for the links and info, I’ll have a read through these now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure