Coffee Machine

Options

Comments

• davetrousers
    davetrousers Posts: 5,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Coffee pods are unethical 3 grammes of packaging for 6 grammes of coffee, and not easily recycled.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35605927

• Jb_1982
    Jb_1982 Posts: 68 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Nespresso - full stop!
  • MysteryMe
    MysteryMe Posts: 3,052 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    jenniewb wrote: »
    Why is it misleading? I was trying to help the OP by asking them to consider which coffee they liked, not that this was the only coffee a machine made but if for example they liked the Starbucks branded coffee then to go for a Nespresso machine, if they liked Costa then they can get Costa branded pods from a Tassimo, if they liked Lavazza....etc

I wasn't trying to make out that this was the only coffee they made, but if they were a fan, then to consider certain brands are linked with certain machines. I'd be well miffed if I was a Starbucks fan and bought a Tassimo, only to find that the machine I bought didn't make the coffee I liked! It wasn't an absolute rule, just a consideration. I hadn't said anything that was intended to be an absolute.

Hopefully the OP will now be the happy owner of a coffee pod machine but for the benefit of others who may read this thread in future.

There is no link between Starbucks and Nespresso coffee.

If you go on the Nespresso website there are no coffee pods sold with a link to Starbucks. That is a fact.

What you will find on other websites/ in shops are third party coffee pod manufacturers who make pods with Starbucks tasting coffee that are compatible with Nespresso machines ( and other makes ) but that is not what you posted, which was

"Starbucks is linked in with the Nespresso coffees"

Inaccurate information helps no one however well meaning so please don't take offence.

My advice would be for people to find out what type of coffee bean(s) is/are used to make the coffee they like and try pods containing the same type of coffee beans.

Also if they want mainly espresso coffee then get a machine with a high bar pressure which will be needed for proper extraction of the coffee from the pod.
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MysteryMe wrote: »
    Hopefully the OP will now be the happy owner of a coffee pod machine but for the benefit of others who may read this thread in future.

There is no link between Starbucks and Nespresso coffee.

If you go on the Nespresso website there are no coffee pods sold with a link to Starbucks. That is a fact.

What you will find on other websites/ in shops are third party coffee pod manufacturers who make pods with Starbucks tasting coffee that are compatible with Nespresso machines ( and other makes ) but that is not what you posted, which was

"Starbucks is linked in with the Nespresso coffees"

Inaccurate information helps no one however well meaning so please don't take offence.

My advice would be for people to find out what type of coffee bean(s) is/are used to make the coffee they like and try pods containing the same type of coffee beans.

Also if they want mainly espresso coffee then get a machine with a high bar pressure which will be needed for proper extraction of the coffee from the pod.

But my mother, a huge Starbucks fan (seriously- she wont even try a Costa coffee if I offer her a sip let alone venture into another coffee house) she only buys Starbucks pods from Starbucks. In the coffee house. Does this mean Starbucks are not selling Starbucks coffee in Starbucks? If not, then what are they selling and what can I (laughingly) tell my mother she is really drinking when she's drinking one of her coffee pod coffees?
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Coffee pods are unethical 3 grammes of packaging for 6 grammes of coffee, and not easily recycled.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35605927

Depends on what you mean by "easily": If buying the aluminium pods direct from Nespresso ask for a recycle bag at the time of ordering, scoop out the coffee from the spent pods and rinse. Then send for free from a collect plus shop.

Your objection is probably concerning the plastic compatible pods. But even here Dualit makes biodegradable plastic pods.

Back to the topic: Nespresso for me and I use compatible pods from Gimoka at £19.99p and free postage for a spend of at least £19.99p. I recommend their Mixed Bundle of 100 pods to start. Also highly recommended are the Brazilian compatible pods from Aldi, £1.79p for 10 when I last looked.

The big benefit of Nespresso is the compatible pods available from most high street stores including Aldi, Lidl, Tesco, Asda, even M&S.

There is currently a summer promo on the Krups Inissia Nespresso machine until 30th September 2017. £59.00 direct from Nespresso and £59.95p from most high street stores. I use the Krups Inissia which I also highly recommend.

I've also tried Tassimo but the coffee was terrible so I returned it and the lack of cheaper compatible pods was also a concern.

http://www.gimokacoffee.com
  • Mutton_Geoff
    Mutton_Geoff Posts: 3,820 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Anthorn wrote: »
    There is currently a summer promo on the Krups Inissia Nespresso machine until 30th September 2017. £59.00 direct from Nespresso and £59.95p from most high street stores. I use the Krups Inissia which I also highly recommend

That machine is an absolute bargain, you can buy it for £49 inc free delivery from one of the large online electrical retailers. Nespresso has an offer on where, using the voucher in the box and ordering 150 capsules from the "Nespresso Club", you get a free Aeroccino 3 frother. I already have another machine with the latte bit and have to say, I hardly ever use the milk thingy. I tend to have espressos, a lungo with milk or boil the kettle, add hot water & milk to the espresso for an Americano or whatever it's called.

The Aeroccino went straight on Ebay unopened where they sell for about £40. Less the Ebay and Paypal fees, the Inissia ends up costing you less than £15 all in.

If you're after a pod machine, this is a really moneysaving way to get one.
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Any recommendations for coffee machines under £100.No idea what I want really, so will appreciate any advice 😀
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I think I'm gonna go for the Nepresso Inissia😁
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 September 2018 at 7:19PM
    Options
    MaryLou18 wrote: »
    I don't know whether it is for home use or for the office. If it is for the office, take a look at a company called xxxxxxxxxxx. They are a lanchashire based coffee and refreshments company who offer FREE coffee machines to your office. You just pay for the coffee (which isn't that much).
    I would assume they have found what they want by now as the last post in the thread is over a year old.
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    cajef wrote: »
    I would assume they have found what they want by now as the last post in the thread is over a year old.

But if not it's a cracking advert for a company nobodies ever heard of with rental machines from only £6.31 per week (so the OP's £90 will last about 3 months) :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure