PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge

Options

Comments

• thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,668 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well, I've gone & done it! 15 coupons, I think, on a 5-pack of M&S bikini-briefs. Black, of course, as befits a clergyman's daughter! First new clothes of the year...
    Angie - GC April 24 £532.07/£480 - oops: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • Laura_Elsewhere
    Laura_Elsewhere Posts: 2,410 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Well, I've gone & done it! 15 coupons, I think, on a 5-pack of M&S bikini-briefs. Black, of course, as befits a clergyman's daughter! First new clothes of the year...

Well done! :)

But I make that only 10 coupons for the five-pack...

Cami-knickers in the original are 4 coupons, and Pip's notes up top add "Ditto one pair of Cami-knickers would equal two pairs of modern bikini-style knickers or thongs." which means one pair of modern bikini-briefs are 2 coupons, so a 5-pack is 10 coupons...

Thriftwizard by name, and thriftwizard by knicker! :)
    2024: 66 coupons
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • Laura_Elsewhere
    Options
    PipneyJane wrote: »
    Platinum - spent 44 coupons or less in the year (the lower level from later in the War)
    Gold - spent between 45 and 66 coupons inclusive
    Silver - spent between 67 and 80 coupons
    Bronze - spent between 81 and 100 coupons
    Iron - "I counted coupons! Honest!" :rotfl:

So if I manage to spend half a coupon or less in the next 9 months, then I'd be in for Platinum...! :D:D:D

(Got home last night and was far too knackered to do anything except sit on the couch and go "Wibble". I've picked up a cold from somewhere and had a right fit of the miseries last night.)

- Pip

Oh, hope you feel better soon! Do you have a convenient nurse-type to look after you? My Chap is an excellent nurse, possibly even better than my late cat who I had thought was about the best nurse in the world... but Chap carries food and drink rather more than Cat ever did... must be the opposable thumbs... ;)

I hope you have a handy nurse-type and are being well looked-after!
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,668 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oooh, happy with 10 rather than 15! And yes, I also hope you feel better soon, Pipney-Jane; if it's the same cold I just had, it never gets very bad. A nuisance rather than a major challenge.
    Angie - GC April 24 £532.07/£480 - oops: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks for the well-wishes, ladies. It’s not a serious cold, just a bit of a runny nose and lots of sneezing. I can take care of the former with decongestants and a large supply of tissues but the latter is annoying the proverbial out of me. Even decongestant spray doesn’t seem to stop the urge to sneeze.

My DH looked after me last night. He’s very good like that. The sneezing got worse on the drive on the way home from Exeter (circa 200 miles), even though I’d taken a “blocked nose relief” capsule, which stopped the tap in my nose.

Laura, I’d love to hear stories about your cat. Nearly 20 years ago, we regularly dog-sat a black Labrador called Sammy. Sammy was an excellent nurse. I once came home with a migraine, laid down on the bed and Sammy stuck his nose against the back of my neck, refusing to move, until DH returned with some painkillers.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • Laura_Elsewhere
    Options
    I'm learning! I'm learning!

Being plump, I need to wear thigh-protection under my skirts, so I chop off cotton leggings at mid-thigh and stitch wide crochet-lace on to stop them just rolling up to my groin and being useless (I used to buy wide cotton lace but now crochet my own as of this last pair!).

Anyway... I used to buy the £3 Primark leggings, and wear them til they wore through and chuck them out... Primark have stopped doing the marl-blue and olive-green that I really liked, so I've taken to patching the old pairs... and I've just managed to find two pairs of the green ons, unworn with tags, on eBay - so NO COUPONS!

I shall cut the legs off and immediately use that fabric to make reinforcing strips to sew onto the inner-thigh so that they last longer... things always last longer if you put the patch onto strong cloth, than if you patch it once it's gone...

• CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Gifted 3 x 100g of a lovely aqua green chunky yarn.
    Coupon free is my favourite!

I've nothing on the loom at the moment, because I've got so many things I want to make that my mind can't settle on any one thing.....
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    PollyWollyDoodle Posts: 2,058 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Loving that blue wool. I'm back from my hols, needless to say one of the brand-new pairs of trousers remains unworn because opportunities for changing were limited and by day 3 it didn't seem worth bothering ... I've taken the tags off, but still have the receipt so I'm wondering if I dare take them back to the shop! That would recoup 6 coupons (and £19).

I accidentally fell into a clearance shoe-shop in Oban and must have had a faint moment because within less than 20 minutes I found myself outside with a new pair of Reiker sandals. In red. I find it really difficult to get shoes that are comfortable for my extra-wide trotters, and I did need these for summer, but that's another 7 coupons, bringing me up to 42 unless I can take the trousers back.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • Crafty_Lisa_Hampshire
    Options
    Nearly the end of the month so thought I would do a tally. Last time I posted I had been given two blouses and a cardigan by my sister-in-law which I have already worn now. Very happy with them. Since then I have been to a few charity shops looking for kitchenware as well as clothes. I have found a navy blue fine knit cardigan (which I will keep for work) and a very snazzy black and white 60s style tunic. I couldn't resist the black and white number and will be taking that with me I think when I go away for the weekend to see a friend. I also made myself a copy of a summer skirt that I have which needs replacing. I used 2 metres of fabric for that which I work out as being 6 coupons. From my tally then I think I have used 29 coupons so far. From the remnants of the fabric I was also able to make an item of clothing for my nieces rag doll for a Christmas present (got to start early when you are making gifts). I'm still making the socks that I mentioned in my last post but I think it is going to take me some time to do - its not easy knitting with 4 needles. I am really chuffed that I still have so many coupons left even after buying some clothes (although in charity shops). This challenge has really shown me how I don't need to spend lots of money to make me feel good about myself. Thanks all for the inspiration and encouragement I get from all the different posts.
    Lisa x
    Fashion on a Ration Challenge 2020 - 66 (+ 19 carried over) = 85 coupons/Spent 23.5 coupons
    Frugal Living Challenge 2020
    Make Do, Mend and Minimise 2020
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    PollyWollyDoodle Posts: 2,058 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well done CraftyLisa - I take it that you bought the skirt fabric, if you were using fabric you already owned then it doesn't count ... or were you the person trying to use up your stash, sorry I can't remember!

Yay I was able to refund my extra pair of trousers so that's six coupons back, bringing me down to 36. I'm honestly more excited about the coupons than the money! :rotfl:
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure