Comping for 9 years... 0 wins!

Options
Firstly, I wanted to say a massive thank you to everybody here who puts in the time to share entry information, competitions, do all of the puzzles to share answers etc. It's quite a community and it's always heartwarming to see.

I thought it was probably about time I said hello; this is my ninth year of doing competitions and sadly, my ninth year of not winning anything!

I have to admit I don't enter everything which I am well aware reduces my chances dramatically, but I do all of the ITV competitions via text, Take a Breaks, holiday entries, Heart/Absolute/Radio X etc, regular magazines like Bella/That's Life, along with the one-off entries for prizes. I'm also doing the daily Hits + Magic radio competitions at the moment...!

It would be a dream to win something. Oddly, despite a terrible drought of almost a decade, I still find the time to enter competitions - it's quite therapeutic? A win would certainly help my family's finances but for now, it's an oddly satisfying way to unwind! Am I alone in this? Ha!

Perhaps eventually I'll strike it lucky? Right?
I do wonder if I'm doing something wrong sometimes!
Adam

Comments

• mirko
    mirko Posts: 264 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Those are all quite popular competitions. The only luck I've ever had is from small twitter comps or facebook ones.

They don't quite have the same level of prize as the ITV ones though!
    As of 24/11/2020
    Mort: - £98,200
    CCds: - £1,568.18
    Loan: - £0
    Savings: - £3,500.00
  • BizHighflyer
    Options
    mirko wrote: »
    Those are all quite popular competitions. The only luck I've ever had is from small twitter comps or facebook ones.

They don't quite have the same level of prize as the ITV ones though!

It's probably more of a time-thing for me, rather than the "greed" of wanting a big win. Perhaps I need to invest some more time here :)

Do you find these competitions via this board, or scout them yourself?
    Adam
  • Bobble5366
    Bobble5366 Posts: 729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's all a game of odds, your big win could very well come at any moment ! Good luck.
  • cagsd
    cagsd Posts: 7,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I won, I won, I won!
    Options
    I know you know this already, and I don't mean to be blunt, but if the comps you mentioned are the only ones you're entering, you could be in for a very long wait for a win.
    Each of them receives thousands of entries, some in the hundreds of thousands, so your chances of being a winner is pretty slim. I've been doing all the magazine puzzles for about 7 years now and only won with any of them once; I've never won with Heart, Capital etc.
    Yes, people do win the big cash prizes, but you only have to look at I Won! board to see that the vast majority of people's prizes are things like tickets, pet supplies, toys, gin etc etc.
    I'm not saying you should be entering for anything and everything - I certainly don't enter for anything I'm not sure I could want or use - but cast your net a little wider and enter for (eg) DVDs you'd like, makeup or toiletries if appropriate, food and drink prizes, local tickets, etc etc. You may find you get a few little wins.... although then again, you may not. My supply of small prizes seems to have completely dried up.
    However it does seem like you have the right attitude - it's just a bit of fun, and if you win anything it's a bonus. Keep that up and hopefully something will come your way before too long!
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,898 Forumite
    Options
    ITV competitions represent poor value for the "stake" vs returns/odds and that is just for the value of a 2nd class stamp, for a text entry it is absurdly poor value as they could easily be getting 1,500,000 or more entries a week.

From earlier this year
    In their accounts from a few years ago they were quoting an actual number of 40,000,000 PAID competition entries a year, since then I haven't noticed them quote a number anymore but all the accounts since then have included something like this which is from the accounts just published
    Elsewhere in Direct to Consumer our
    competitions have performed well across
    the schedule with continued growth, and
    development of the competition portal
  • xoxlauraxox
    xoxlauraxox Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    Options
    I hope you get a lovely win soon. Gotta be in it to win it.
    Thanks to everyone that posts :T:money:
  • BizHighflyer
    BizHighflyer Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    cagsd wrote: »
    I know you know this already, and I don't mean to be blunt, but if the comps you mentioned are the only ones you're entering, you could be in for a very long wait for a win.
    Each of them receives thousands of entries, some in the hundreds of thousands, so your chances of being a winner is pretty slim. I've been doing all the magazine puzzles for about 7 years now and only won with any of them once; I've never won with Heart, Capital etc.
    Yes, people do win the big cash prizes, but you only have to look at I Won! board to see that the vast majority of people's prizes are things like tickets, pet supplies, toys, gin etc etc.
    I'm not saying you should be entering for anything and everything - I certainly don't enter for anything I'm not sure I could want or use - but cast your net a little wider and enter for (eg) DVDs you'd like, makeup or toiletries if appropriate, food and drink prizes, local tickets, etc etc. You may find you get a few little wins.... although then again, you may not. My supply of small prizes seems to have completely dried up.
    However it does seem like you have the right attitude - it's just a bit of fun, and if you win anything it's a bonus. Keep that up and hopefully something will come your way before too long!
    Thanks for your thoughts, I think that's fair.
    I probably wasn't clear in that I do enter for smaller items, but they're more one-off things I guess. I could certainly enter for more things, however.
    Adam
  • WeAreGhosts
    WeAreGhosts Posts: 3,100 Forumite
    Options
    try using the search facility to find smaller comps for things you enjoy - books? gardening? cinema? photography? etc ... Also any particular brands you know you'd like to win from ...
  • Joolski
    Joolski Posts: 197 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Keep the faith Adam, at any time your name could be picked as the winner. Keep trying, and hope you get a good win soon!
  • fsmmct
    fsmmct Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    try using the search facility to find smaller comps for things you enjoy - books? gardening? cinema? photography? etc ... Also any particular brands you know you'd like to win from ...

Hi
    I'm a newbie to this competition thing and not brilliant on finding my way around forums so please excuse my ignorance
    what do you mean by the search facility.... is this to search for specific competitions and is that facility here on MSE
    F
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport