Specified Adult Childcare Credits

Options
I have recently become aware of Specified Adult Childcare Credits. Apparently these allow people like myself (grandparent) to claim the Class 3 NI element of somebody else's Child Benefit if you look after a child under the age of 12.I have looked after my grandchildren since taking early retirement in 2011.
As I was part of the BT Pension Scheme I was contracted out for part of my time so according to the State Pension forecast will not receive the full new State Pension payment when I am due to receive it in 2021.
My assumption is that if I claim the Specified Adult Childcare Credits for the years I have looked after the grandchildren then that will build my NI Contribution years and therefore my State Pension.
Does anyone have experience of this and if so do you know if my assumptions are correct?

Comments

• Asghar
    Asghar Posts: 433 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 February 2019 at 11:56AM
    Options
    Have a read of this thread.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5832647

Is the parent who was or is currently receiving the child benefit also working?

They need to have had National Insurance credits from employment before they can transfer the Child Benefit NI credits to you.
  • chris1955
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I had searched for previous links but drew a blank.
    My daughter is the one receiving Child Benefit but she is also employed so will receive NI credits through work. I have only claimed for the periods she was working since 2012 and excluded any periods where she was on Maternity Leave.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,920 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Been there. MrsM saved just under £3K in class 3 contributions. :money:Easy to claim.
  • chris1955
    chris1955 Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does anyone know how long it takes before you get any sort of response to your claim?
    It's around 7 weeks since I applied but haven't heard anything, not even had an acknowledgement.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,920 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Is there not a letter showing in progress on your gateway account ? You will not get a written acknowledgement of your claim but will get a letter confirming the outcome. MrsM submitted 3 claims over the years and the responses were between 4 to 8 weeks. I believe this year they are pretty snowed under with the "new pension" NI rush which has to be paid by 5 April so may take a bit longer.
  • Freecall
    Freecall Posts: 1,306 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    chris1955 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how long it takes before you get any sort of response to your claim?
    It's around 7 weeks since I applied but haven't heard anything, not even had an acknowledgement.

Sent the form on 4th February.

Showed up as credit in Personal Tax account on 19th March.

So, about 6 weeks at present. Yours should be imminent.

:beer:
  • chris1955
    Options
    Just checked via website and it says a reply has been sent so hopefully will receive it soon.
  • chris1955
    Options
    Received my letter today. Good news they have credited me with the periods I applied for. This has had the effect of increasing my State Pension forecast by £9 a week.
  • freccle
    freccle Posts: 770 Forumite
    Options
    I'm about to claim this but my daughter is worried it will affect the free childcare allowance she gets or her tax credits. Will it affect her in any way?
    There will always be:
    A “LIE” in BELIEVE, an “OVER” in LOVER, an “END” in FRIEND, an “US” in TRUST , and an “IF” in LIFE ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure