Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bo_rai_cho
    • By bo_rai_cho 21st Apr 18, 10:55 AM
    • 9Posts
    • 343Thanks
    bo_rai_cho
    Really confused about grandparents allowance for child care
    • 21st Apr 18, 10:55 AM
    Really confused about grandparents allowance for child care 21st Apr 18 at 10:55 AM
    As a grandparent I only worked 10 years and so won't get the full state pension.

My son says I should take out the grandparents carers allowance, does this mean my son will lose out on pension credits by giving me his allowance?
Page 1
    • molerat
    • By molerat 21st Apr 18, 11:04 AM
    • 19,311 Posts
    • 13,521 Thanks
    molerat
    • 21st Apr 18, 11:04 AM
    • 21st Apr 18, 11:04 AM
    The person receiving the child benefit needs to be receiving NI years through other means (employment class 1) so they can transfer the NI credits they would receive through child benefit to you.

Is your son employed and paying NI, is he the one receiving the child benefit ?
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 21st Apr 18, 11:19 AM
    • 26,488 Posts
    • 15,730 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 21st Apr 18, 11:19 AM
    • 21st Apr 18, 11:19 AM
    As a grandparent I only worked 10 years and so won't get the full state pension.
    Have you obtained a new state pension statement?

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

What does it say?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/national-insurance-credits-for-adults-who-care-for-a-child-under-12-fact-sheet/specified-adult-childcare-credits-fact-sheet
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 21st Apr 18, 11:20 AM
    • 1,578 Posts
    • 1,144 Thanks
    Brynsam
    • 21st Apr 18, 11:20 AM
    • 21st Apr 18, 11:20 AM
    Have you read this - should help: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/family/2017/01/grandparents-who-help-with-childcare-at-risk-of-missing-out-on-full-state-pension---act-now-to-protect-it
    • Asghar
    • By Asghar 21st Apr 18, 2:13 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    Asghar
    • 21st Apr 18, 2:13 PM
    • 21st Apr 18, 2:13 PM

My son says I should take out the grandparents carers allowance, does this mean my son will lose out on pension credits by giving me his allowance?
    Originally posted by bo_rai_cho
    Is the Child Benefit in your son's name and is he working full time and paying National Insurance?

If yes to both, then he is receiving NI credits from his employment for the same tax years and the Child Benefit credits are being wasted. He could transfer these NI credits to you.

Does he have a wife who is not working, if so then she could use the NI credits. If the Child Benefit is in his wife's name and she is not working then she would loose the pension credits if they were transferred to you.
    • Kynthia
    • By Kynthia 22nd Apr 18, 9:35 AM
    • 5,266 Posts
    • 7,346 Thanks
    Kynthia
    • 22nd Apr 18, 9:35 AM
    • 22nd Apr 18, 9:35 AM
    If the child is under 12 and both parents are getting NI through means other than child benefit, such as working and earning enough, then they don't lose anything by giving you the NI credit for the year. I did this for my mum. We sat together at the computer, entered the details, then got a letter confirming she'd been given two years of NI credits, saving her the cost of purchasing those years.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
    • bo_rai_cho
    • By bo_rai_cho 22nd Apr 18, 8:56 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 343 Thanks
    bo_rai_cho
    • 22nd Apr 18, 8:56 PM
    • 22nd Apr 18, 8:56 PM
    Hi, thanks all for your replies and to answer some questions:

I have read the guidance on the MSE website but was confused about who gains/loses credits.

I have not received any statement yet, I assume this is because I am someway off retirement even though I stopped working.

My sons wife may stop working, so thanks Asghar - I guess I should not transfer them as she might lose them then.

My son is working and a higher rate tax payer
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 22nd Apr 18, 10:09 PM
    • 26,488 Posts
    • 15,730 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 22nd Apr 18, 10:09 PM
    • 22nd Apr 18, 10:09 PM
    I have not received any statement yet
    You need to apply for it - see link in my previous.
    • Kynthia
    • By Kynthia 22nd Apr 18, 11:05 PM
    • 5,266 Posts
    • 7,346 Thanks
    Kynthia
    • 22nd Apr 18, 11:05 PM
    • 22nd Apr 18, 11:05 PM
    Hi, thanks all for your replies and to answer some questions:

I have read the guidance on the MSE website but was confused about who gains/loses credits.

I have not received any statement yet, I assume this is because I am someway off retirement even though I stopped working.

My sons wife may stop working, so thanks Asghar - I guess I should not transfer them as she might lose them then.

My son is working and a higher rate tax payer
    Originally posted by bo_rai_cho
    Presumably the child benefit is in the mum's name then? It's fine to claim it for the years she has earnt enough to get a full qualifying year. You claim retrospectively so just don't claim any more if the mother stops working.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
    • beduth
    • By beduth 8th May 18, 2:26 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    beduth
    I have completed the form required and printed it off signed by myself and daughter. How long do hmrc take to credit me with the N! contribution. Sent it off about a month ago.
    • beduth
    • By beduth 8th May 18, 2:29 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    beduth
    If the child is under 12 and both parents are getting NI through means other than child benefit, such as working and earning enough, then they don't lose anything by giving you the NI credit for the year. I did this for my mum. We sat together at the computer, entered the details, then got a letter confirming she'd been given two years of NI credits, saving her the cost of purchasing those years.
    Originally posted by Kynthia
    Hi, how long did it take for them to credit her with the N! contribution?
    • molerat
    • By molerat 8th May 18, 4:12 PM
    • 19,311 Posts
    • 13,521 Thanks
    molerat
    6 - 8 weeks IIRC but they will be busy at this time of year so could take longer.
    • twiglet98
    • By twiglet98 8th May 18, 4:15 PM
    • 809 Posts
    • 3,808 Thanks
    twiglet98
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/national-insurance-credits-for-adults-who-care-for-a-child-under-12-fact-sheet/specified-adult-childcare-credits-fact-sheet

This states "We cannot accept applications for a particular tax year until the following October at the earliest. For example, for the tax year 2016/2017 applications must not be made until October 2017. This is because we need to check the parent already has a qualifying year for National Insurance purposes, and that can take until the October."

I'm trying to find out if the 'specified adult childcare credit' stipulates a minimum or maximum number of days childcare for a grandchild whose parents are working full time.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 8th May 18, 4:23 PM
    • 19,311 Posts
    • 13,521 Thanks
    molerat
    There is no minimum. If you care at any time during a week you get that 1 week credit.
    • relishy57
    • By relishy57 10th May 18, 8:38 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    relishy57
    Can I use this post please to ask questions of my own.
    My first grandchild born 12/4/18. Some weeks early so not sure yet when my daughter is returning to work. Do the contributions only start when the parent starts back at work?
    • molerat
    • By molerat 10th May 18, 12:42 PM
    • 19,311 Posts
    • 13,521 Thanks
    molerat
    You exchange the parent who is receiving child benefit and paying class 1 NICs parental credits for the carer credit. If the parent is not back at work they are not paying NICs so they cannot transfer to you.

You can apply for Specified Adult Childcare credits if:
    • the child's parent (or main carer) is entitled to Child Benefit and has a qualifying year for National Insurance without needing the parent's class 3 NI credits which they receive automatically from Child Benefit
    Last edited by molerat; 10-05-2018 at 12:45 PM.
    • relishy57
    • By relishy57 10th May 18, 3:51 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    relishy57
    Sorry, should have been clearer. Daughter is on maternity leave and a mixture of annual leave. (Police officer). I may not be called upon for childcare until December. Although there is chance she may do “keep in touch days”. Would this mean any credits would not be added until October 19?
    • molerat
    • By molerat 10th May 18, 5:20 PM
    • 19,311 Posts
    • 13,521 Thanks
    molerat
    You cannot put in the claim until the October after the end of the financial year so yes, any caring done in this FY cannot be claimed for until Oct 19 so just make a note and keep it somewhere safe. Your daughter will need to ensure her record for this year is full before you are able to transfer anyway.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,224Posts Today

7,444Users online

Martin's Twitter