Barclaycard - Robinson Day Default

Options
Damper132
Damper132 Posts: 28 Forumite
First Anniversary
edited 5 March 2019 at 1:10PM in Credit file & ratings
Hi Everyone,

just looking for a bit of advice a number of years ago had a Barclaycard and one day rang up and paid the thing off in full.
roll forward a couple of year to late 2018 and a letter arrives through the post form a Robinson way chasing a nominal amount of money ref the above just over £72 we sent a letter and also called to say we settled with them in full so nothing due. They took their time and came back saying it was due to be perfectly honest it was just drain trying to get sense our of any of the morons we spoke to there so just wanted to pay in full to have this disspear from credit reports etc and just have done with the fiasco. (they said we we accepted to pay a discounted value this would stay on credit file and didnt want this hence paying the full amount)

Even though they stated this will be settled and cleared from the report its now showing as a Default on the credit file (under the name hoist Portfolio holding 2 Limited) and having a very negative effect on trying to get accepted for any kind of credit, seem as this was paid in full at the time with Barclaycard do I have recourse to make them remove this default because if not im screwed for the next 6 years despite never missing any form of payment or going into an overdraft etc?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You'll need to prove that you settled it at the time (not the default, the original sum). Have you spoke to Barclaycard?

You won't be screwed for the next 6 years if it stays. You'll just need to choose your lenders more carefully.
  • Damper132
    First Anniversary
    Options
    No i haven't spoken to Barclaycard yet just seems unfair that after all this time they pluck a nominal sum out of nowhere and get stung with an ugly default for my troubles!
    Its having an effect on both myself and my partners credit worthiness as are both linked via Mortgage
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That's why you need to speak to them.

It won't be a nominal amount - they will believe it to be a genuine debt, even if there has been an error.
  • Damper132
    First Anniversary
    Options
    thank you i will give them a ring
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If you had a payment coming out each month linked to your Barclaycard (Gym membership, iTunes, etc) they will have still paid this even if you closed your account. Even a very small payment, plus interest, can add up. It may have even been a small amount of trailing interest, plus interest. This is why, before you cancel any credit card, you should make sure there has been two months of zero payment on your statements.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • Damper132
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Just an update so i spoke to Barclaycard, after paying off my balance in full they took a further DD payment £51 and a few pence at the time i obviously rang and request a refund which they made, turns out when they refunded the person the other other end of the phone refunded £61 and a few pence, so they they decided it would be a good idea to leave this as a balance outstanding and over time the £9 odd adjustment turned into a £72 debt with all the interest on top. After speaking to 5 people who said theres nothing we can do the default is going to stay on your file i went through to complaints they admitted it was totally their fault refunded the money paid to Robinson way and will have the default removed from my account!!! thanks for your help
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good news. Update us in a month or two checking they have actually removed it.
  • Damper132
    First Anniversary
    Options
    just a quick update to let everyone know barclaycard and robinson way both admitted this had been a mistake a letter confirming and has now been removed successfully removed from my credit report!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure