advise re: ee early termination charge

Hi, my husbands and my contracts with ee end on the 14th of August. I made a mistake of asking for a pac on the 14th of July , so i've been hit with a £29 early termination charge, but my hubby did that today (well within the 30 day notice) and was told he has to pay £23. I thought i didn't have to wait for the contract to finish and then give the 30 day notice, but it seems ee thinks that way. Or maybe i don't understand correctly when i should've requested the PAC.
Please, advise! Thank you!

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    There is no "exit fee free switching window" on mobiles like there is when you switch energy providers. Therefore if your contract finishes on the 14th of August you would be liable for early termination charges at any point before that date.

And in any event if you find another deal with another provider you don't need to speak to EE, you can just text to request a PAC code and give it to a new provider if you want to keep the existing number which would happen the next (working) day.
  • violetmva
    violetmva Posts: 179 Forumite
    i do not intend to use the pac before 14 th Augist. Just wanted to comply with the 30 day warning that i want to leave. I was told by their tweeter customer service, that i need to give 30 day. It makes no sense to request pac on the 14th August and be told i will be charged for August as well as i haven't given them notice and the contract is still on.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    violetmva wrote: »
    Hi, my husbands and my contracts with ee end on the 14th of August. I made a mistake of asking for a pac on the 14th of July , so i've been hit with a £29 early termination charge, but my hubby did that today (well within the 30 day notice) and was told he has to pay £23. I thought i didn't have to wait for the contract to finish and then give the 30 day notice, but it seems ee thinks that way. Or maybe i don't understand correctly when i should've requested the PAC.
    Please, advise! Thank you!

Did you actually use your PAC? If not you haven't been charged anything yet, just hold on to it until it suits yourself. They're only valid for 30 days though so if the time runs out you'll have to request a new one.
  • violetmva
    violetmva Posts: 179 Forumite
    No, we haven't used them. We will once the 14th is gone. In my case i will be charged as i didn't realise this month has 31 days plus they count in the 14 as well, so my PAC is valid till the 12th. Will use it then and whatever happens.

Thank you very much for all your help! Much appreciated!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure