£3000 to remove internal wall, install laminate and replace fireplace?

Options
Hi there,
I've just had a quote of £3000 for the below. This seems a little steep to me, does this sound reasonable to you guys?

Repositioning of two radiators in lounge and dining room (including taking the current laminate flooring up to move pipeworks)

Knock through from dining room to lounge, installation of approximately 3 meter rolled steel joist set on pad stones and plaster finish around steel.

Lounge door blocked up, plaster boarded and skimmed.

Removal of current gas fire, installation of new fire (TBC)

Hallway floor to be made level with dining room threshold, installation of new laminate
flooring.

All waste material to be removed, property to be left clean and tidy.

Thanks!

Comments

• phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Get other quotes.

I assume that the steel work has been specified by a structural engineer? You will need to get BC involved as it is notifiable.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    If you are having a wood stove fitted, then £3,000 is way too low. A new stove (gas or wood/multifuel) will need a new flue liner, and that will easily cost £1,000 on its own. That said, you can get flueless gas fires which may be suitable.

Ignoring the stove, structural engineer costs, building control fees, RSJ, and laminate takes up pretty much all of the £3,000 quote. Precious little to pay for labour if you want a decent finish.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure