Ceiling light not working

Options
My ceiling light started flickering a few months ago, I thought it was the bulb going and changed and it hasn't worked since. It is only now it is winter that it is becoming a problem.

The new bulb is definitely working as I have tried with a lamp. This is a hall light and there is a switch downstairs and upstairs. I have tried checking the light pendant where you put the bulb in and the wiring looked okay. Not tried the bit attached to the ceiling yet.

Any suggestions for next step would be appreciated or should I just get an electrician to fix?
Decluttter 2022⭐Declutter 2023

Comments

• missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Probably a bad connection. You could use a circuit tester / or buy a multimeter £9.99 at Screwfix.com to check if the circuit is live at the pendant and switch. See here
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • cool_dude_2000
    Options
    Exact same thing happened to me. Bulb kept flickering at odd times. Turns out the live wire in the pendant was loose in the connector. I simply tightened it back in.

Make sure electrics are off before you do anything. Or get in a professional if not sure.
  • ianto11
    ianto11 Posts: 251 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Is it a celing rose with a pendant ??
  • akh43
    akh43 Posts: 1,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    ianto11 wrote: »
    Is it a celing rose with a pendant ??

Yes I think so, its just a standard light that comes from the ceiling and the bulb fits in with a shade.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Do you know that the main switch in the fusebox/consumer unit cuts power to that ceiling light?

If not, get an electrician in and ask them not only to fix the light but to check to see if any light fitting, socket and fixed appliance is not isolated by the main switch in the fusebox/consumer unit. You need to be sure that you can isolate your entire property from the mains supply, e.g. in case someone is electrocuted and cannot let go of the item that is shocking them (electrocution can cause involuntary muscle contractions that means the you cannot let go of thing that is shocking you).

Once you know that the main switch does isolate everything in the house, in future if you have this problem, you can switch off the main switch during the day to see if you have a loose connection in the ceiling rose or pendant.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,486 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    No disrespect intended to the OP but if they don't know what a pendant light fitting is they shouldn't be messing with the electrics. Get an electrician in, it will be a comparatively easy job for them.
  • akh43
    Options
    tacpot12 wrote: »
    Do you know that the main switch in the fusebox/consumer unit cuts power to that ceiling light?

If not, get an electrician in and ask them not only to fix the light but to check to see if any light fitting, socket and fixed appliance is not isolated by the main switch in the fusebox/consumer unit. You need to be sure that you can isolate your entire property from the mains supply, e.g. in case someone is electrocuted and cannot let go of the item that is shocking them (electrocution can cause involuntary muscle contractions that means the you cannot let go of thing that is shocking you).

Once you know that the main switch does isolate everything in the house, in future if you have this problem, you can switch off the main switch during the day to see if you have a loose connection in the ceiling rose or pendant.

I got a new fusebox shortly after moving in as the one in place was dangerous so I have circuit breakers for lights upstairs, downstairs, sockets upstairs, downstairs, etc. When I checked out the fitting as I was not sure whether it was upstairs or downstairs I switched off both to be sure.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    mice?

• akh43
    Options
    Update:
    I was going to get an electrician to fix and decided to double check it one last time before contacting and for some reason the light came on with the upstairs switch, hadn't previously worked, turned it off downstairs and now it seems to be working again at least from the downstairs switch, which I am happy with.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good result :-)
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport