Getting rid of rats/mice (merged threads)

Options

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've tried traps. I'm in the country. There is currently a myth that the field mouse population is under threat. I can assure you there is an inexhaustible supply round here!

I've tried blocking up the air bricks with chicken wire. It's an old (1851) house and there are multiple ways in, not least via the neighbours' property.

An alternative bed? It's an idea. Leave some loft insulation down there for them to breed in. Trouble is I'd prefer to discourage them from coming in rather than encourage them!
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    Options
    get a cat.
    Get some gorm.
  • Frank_E
    Frank_E Posts: 58 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not sure why an insulation rodent-proofing thread has been merged with a rodent eradication thread or where on earth the detailed reponse to G_M's insulation query that took me half an hour to type has gone.

The abridged version of my detailed response was:

Insulation
    Id suggest Armaflex NH or O insulation ready slit - both fire rated. Armaflex adhesive and tape.

Cladding
    Armacell Okapak or Arma Chek Cladding http://www.armacell.com/WWW/armacell/INETArmacell.nsf/web/72BC00992FD0AA1F802576D400607353?OpenDocument&Nav=2F92375819AE9794802576CE0044F567 or

Isogenopak cladding
    http://www.acoustic.co.uk/literature/isogenopak.pdf
    Or non proprietary sheet material, plastic rivets.
    In all cases you'll need a craft knife straight edge, square, drill, drill bit to suit plastic rivets.
    Cut sheet to size with craft knife and straight edge, wrap round fitted pipe insulation hold into place with tape, then drill rivet holes and push rivet into cladding to close.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks Frank. I'm also mystified as to why my post was merged. I re-posted it in frustration!

Thanks for the suggestions and sorry your initial half-hour got lost!
  • Frank_E
    Frank_E Posts: 58 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I used to get mice under my floor quite often (BTL property next door, it's always next door neighbours with mice isn't it) and they haven't touched my unclad Armaflex O.
    I'm also in the process of rodent-proofing. A lagger from rural NI recommended the Isogenopak for this purpose.

Not sure if the DIY sheds stock NH or O Class or cladding material.

Sheffield Insulations or Kitsons can supply all the above in split cartons. I would recommend measuring the lengths of runs of each size of pipe (overall diameter), popping them an email with bill of materials for a price if you don't want to end up with a surplus of insulation like I did.
    Which reminds me, I bunged most of the surplus lengths down the hatch out of the way in 2003 and my furry little incontinent friends didn't feather their nests with it.
  • Evansangel
    Evansangel Posts: 6,791 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We have mice in the house and since killing them obviously isn't working i need something to repel them.

We aren't allowed cats on the property at all and the plugging up holes suggestion wont work as under our kitchen cudboards there is a huge gap in which you can see into next doors kitchen! (the old tenants say the mice come from their house)

So do the plug in repellers work?
    I have seen mixed reviews which are getting me no where! :p
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    When we tried them they had no effect whatsoever.

It may have been because we had field mice instead of the common house mouse but I doubt it.
  • DirectDebacle
    Options
    Sonic Mouse Repellers - Do they work?

They might have some effect if the mice aren't deaf.

Have you considered contacting pest control at your local council?
  • explumber
    Options
    google pest-stop.
    used by the ministry of defence in their properties.
    i bought one three years ago, after being invaded by the critters.
    not cheap, i think it cost me about 45 pounds. but had exellent result. it does take a couple of weeks to chase them out. i have left mine running eversince. and have had no reinfestation.
    you just plug it into an electric socket, and it protects the whole house.
    just found it on amazon!!

21xxJiJp4bL._SL160_AA160_.jpg
    PROCTER PEST STOP 2000 PEST REPELLOR

Buy new: £37.50
    In stock

all the best.
  • Freddie_Snowbits
    Options
    No they do not, but you could borrow ours
    Please help, I have come back to find my PC's mouse has died and my laptop full of P [STRIKE]F[/STRIKE] ussy

I do not know how to clean it before Freda gets home from the WI.

2sailpv.jpg
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure