Under 18's and bank charges

Options
Can a bank charge someone who is under 18.

It is a total of 58 pound. A £30 pound Unauth borrowing fee and £28 payment fee for the cheque which cleared in 1 day. The day before the account was credited with months salary.

Comments

• Fedz
    Fedz Posts: 1,096 Forumite
    Options
    Is this someone over the age of 16 but under the age of 18?

If this someone signed the terms to gain the bank account - then I'd say yes the bank can.

We're all bound by the terms and conditions we signed up to to get our bank account(s).

Kind regards
    Proudly Banking & Saving With:
    The Co-operative Bank.
    Castle & Minster Credit Union.
    Yorkshire Building Society.
  • catalonia13
    Options
    Take a look at https://www.bankchargeshell.co.uk and my OP - Halifax charge £39 - personally I'd take it further, many people are now objecting to these excessive charges, they are not enforceable in law because they represent a 'penalty' not a true reflection of the costs incurred by the bank.
    Fedz is quite right in saying they can make these charges, whether we should be paying them is another matter.......! :)
    Make the most of life, it is not a rehearsal!
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    Sheriff wrote:

It is a total of 58 pound. A £30 pound Unauth borrowing fee and £28 payment fee for the cheque which cleared in 1 day. The day before the account was credited with months salary.

So he wrote a cheque out KNOWING he did not have funds in account to meet it (technically a criminal offence!) and then complains that he was charged because presumably the payee banked with the same bank as drawer and money was debited from account straight away.
    It is no excuse that payday was near and he thought it might take 'a few days' to debit the account.
    You may be succesful in appealing against the charge, then again the bank may ask for its cheque book back until the account holder is responsible enough to use it.
    Eric
  • Fedz
    Options
    After reading the latest rush of posts on MSE regarding bank charges ...etc. it really has enlightened me how banks make such high profits :rolleyes:

If you use the banks money unautherised you're going to be charged, it's easy. So to 'get back at bank charges' only spend what's yours and is available and you can enjoy using the banking facilities for free, eg: cheques, DD, telephone banking, internet banking, cards ...etc.

If you can't do the above do the responsible thing and request an autherised overdraft but even then people spend that and go over :confused:
    The Co-operative Bank.
  • FTD
    FTD Posts: 137 Forumite
    Options
    Sheriff wrote:

As catalonia13 has pointed out, ring them and state that the charges are not a true reflection of the costs incurred to themselves.... Just as the site https://www.bankchargeshell.co.uk says. You will find that banks will be a little mere 'receptive' to you if you are 'aware' of your rights.

I've just come off the phone for three quarters of an hour with LloydsTSB regarding charges I got back in 2002! it has been 'referred' so I will have to wait and see.

Thumbs up to https://www.bankchargeshell.co.uk

FTD
  • catalonia13
    Options
    ejones999 wrote:
    So he wrote a cheque out KNOWING he did not have funds in account to meet it......

O c'mon 'ejones', that's a little harsh - he quite obviously wrote the cheque out on the (perfectly normal) assumption it would take at least 3 working days to clear (as do most cheques) by which time his salary would be in.

I think a visit (or phone call) to the bank to explain, and apologise (grovel!) would be my first step, if they don't remove the charge then you can consider taking it further. Good luck! :)
    Make the most of life, it is not a rehearsal!
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That might be a "perfectly normal" assumption, but it's wrong to make it. All bank terms & conditions state that you shouldn't write out a cheque unless you have the funds to pay it - there and then, not three days later.
  • Fedz
    Options
    ejones999 wrote:
    So he wrote a cheque out KNOWING he did not have funds in account to meet it......

O c'mon 'ejones', that's a little harsh - he quite obviously wrote the cheque out on the (perfectly normal) assumption it would take at least 3 working days to clear (as do most cheques) by which time his salary would be in.

I think a visit (or phone call) to the bank to explain, and apologise (grovel!) would be my first step, if they don't remove the charge then you can consider taking it further. Good luck! :)
    With all due respect here 'assumptions are the mother of all ****ups!' (deliberate asteriks).

You're not borrowing from your mother or friend. It's a bank that makes profits and has shareholders. If you agree and sign to the terms and conditions why expect different when these T&C effect you? lol
    The Co-operative Bank.
  • Sheriff
    Options
    Thank you all for your help with this matter! I think its a bit harsh but see also that it is in a way the consequence for the action!
  • frepol
    frepol Posts: 202 Forumite
    Options
    Sheriff wrote:

It is a total of 58 pound. A £30 pound Unauth borrowing fee and £28 payment fee for the cheque which cleared in 1 day.

Why is the bank lending money (through paying the cheque) to somebody under the age of 18?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure