Plevin & mortgage protection insurance

Options
I took out a mortgage in the late 1990’s with National & Provincial it was a 100% mortgage and a condition was that I took out Mortgage protection insurance this was a monthly payment which carried on through Abbey National take over & finally Santander - the mortgage was paid off a couple of years ago I never made a claim for mis selling as I did use the policy in the early years for a couple of months when I was made redundant but I did wonder if I could make a claim under Plevin

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can't claim under Plevin, you have to complain about the policy and if they don't agree they will look at Plevin - Plevin is ONLY applicable to complaints about PPI that are rejected

If you did use the policy it also limits your complaint reasons, so you might get lucky with a rejection and Plevin but you can't complain directly about it
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Did you pay the mortgage off before 2008? if so, plevin does not apply.

Did you ever remortgage or buy new deals with them? if so, plevin may not apply.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • welwynrose
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    Did you pay the mortgage off before 2008? if so, plevin does not apply.

Did you ever remortgage or buy new deals with them? if so, plevin may not apply.

Mortgage was paid off in the last couple of years never remortgaged I only ever negotiated the amount I was paying when there was an interest rate change
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    welwynrose wrote: »
    Mortgage was paid off in the last couple of years never remortgaged I only ever negotiated the amount I was paying when there was an interest rate change

"negotiating" deals is buying a new deal. Called rate switching nowadays. Doing that means the original contract is superceded by a new one. Mortgage contracts were not always covered under the CCA. Some were unregulated and some were covered under MCOB. it is only the ones under the CCA where Plevin may apply.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • welwynrose
    welwynrose Posts: 111 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So is it worth sending a letter to Santander & querying it
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts