Beginning Self Assessment Tax

Options
Hi,

From February 2020 I am going freelance - but continuing to work for current employer. Over the next 12 months I will be earning £39k (£3250 a month). However, as the tax year runs 6th April 19 to 5th April 2020 - does this mean in January 31st 2021 I only have to pay tax on February to 5th April 2020? If so this would be just £6500 and below threshold? Or am I mistaken? As this is first time I would be going freelance and doing a self assessment any help would be great!

Thanks!
Joe

Comments

• NedS
    NedS Posts: 3,614 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    However, as the tax year runs 6th April 19 to 5th April 2020 - does this mean in January 31st 2021 I only have to pay tax on February to 5th April 2020? If so this would be just £6500 and below threshold?

Did you earn anything in paid employment between 6th April 2019 and Feb 2020 (now) as that will also count toward your annual tax allowance which may take you over the threshold?
  • joesanders95
    Options
    Hi Ned,

I was on PAYE from April 19 till February 2020 so tax was already deducted
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Dazed_and_confused Posts: 6,458 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    edited 29 January 2020 at 9:33AM
    Options
    You have misunderstood how tax and Self Assessment works.

When you complete you tax return you include all taxable income. Whether tax has been deducted at source is irrelevant from this perspective.

Your Self Assessment liability is then calculated based on your total taxable income. Any tax deducted at source such as the PAYE tax from the job is then deducted* leaving you with a net amount to pay (or refund due to you).

Don't forget that your Self Assessment liability can consist of upto five elements, some of which probably won't apply to you but some will, definitely the first three although Class 4 NIC may not be due for the first year due to relatively low profit as it's only a part year for your business.

Income tax
    Class 2 National Insurance
    Class 4 National Insurance
    Student Loan
    High Income Child Benefit Charge

*assuming you complete the return correctly and include the tax figure
  • joesanders95
    Options
    Ah OK - so I would enter all income (before tax) I've earned from April 19 up until April 20 - which would be a combination of both PAYE earnings and freelance earnings. How does the self assessment calculate tax I've paid under PAYE? Would I enter this earnings under a certain section?

Thanks
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    How does the self assessment calculate tax I've paid under PAYE?

It doesn't, you include the tax figure on your return.
    Would I enter this earnings under a certain section?

Yes. When you start your return you have to say which sections apply (most won't) so in your case you will need the employment and self employment pages. You include the tax deducted on the employment page along with your taxable pay from your P60 and any other relevant details such as company benefits.
  • Robert_McGeddon
    Options
    It sounds like you'll be doing pretty much the same thing freelance as when employed, and for the same 'client.' You may want to check out the IR35 situation on disguised employment.
  • joesanders95
    Options
    Thanks for clarifying - I imagine it will be very clear when I come to file the self assessment return - just as I haven't done it before I just want to know what to expect, thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure