We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Chilli plant colours

Options
We’ve got 4 chilli plants that have given great numbers for the last 2 or 3 months, we thought we’d planted green chillis, but recently a lot are a yellow/lime green colour, and the odd one or 2 on a green producing plant are bright red

Is there any reason for this? Not an issue, just wondering

Comments

• unrecordings
    Options
    Depending on the variety, chillis generally start off green and turn colour as they reach maturity

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • unrecordings
    Options
    Coincientally my first chilli just turned red overnight - Thai Cayenne I think

• Justagardener
    Options
    It's all to do with the break down of chlorophyll as the chilli ripens. Green chillies are effectively unripe but will have a predetermined colour at the point of being ripe i.e. red, yellow or orange and sometimes dark brown. There s an awful lot of unscrupulous seed sellers out there, mixing seed varieties so unfortunately you might not get the chilli you were hoping for!
  • unrecordings
    Options
    This was an xmas present, a 'grow your own' kit complete with little bag of compo (chucked on the garden), so yes - could be anything really. The 'habanero' are only just beginning to bud

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure