Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Options

Comments

• RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,540 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 7 October 2017 at 12:46PM
    Options
    Aldi have some frozen 'Specially Selected' 'SlimFree' meals. As I type, I'm eating the Spicy Moroccan Vegetable Stew.

It's quite nice. I don't taste anything particularly exotic in the flavours. It tastes very much like generic chilli stew. The flavour is quite nice (if slightly generic), and it tastes reasonably like fresh cooked food. It is, as it says on the packaging, a generous single portion. It describes the heat level as hot (three chillis) but I'd describe it as medium. The vegetables are typical low calories things such as squash courgettes etc. No beans. Spicy tomato sauce. The packaging perhaps make it look as if it has more vegetables and less sauce than it does in reality.

IMHO this product 'does what it says on the tin'. But, it's a bit similar to the stews I used to make when I was dieting: low calorie vegetables + tomato sauce + garlic + spices + seasoning. Especially with the cardboard and plastic packaging, and the relative ease of cooking something like this, I sort of felt it's a bit wasteful to buy a ready made one. This isn't a criticism of the product which is a good example of what it is, just a bit of self-reflection to add to the review.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,638 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    RHemmings wrote: »
    Aldi have some frozen 'Specially Selected' 'SlimFree' meals. As I type, I'm eating the Spicy Moroccan Vegetable Stew.

It's quite nice. I don't taste anything particularly exotic in the flavours. It tastes very much like generic chilli stew. The flavour is quite nice (if slightly generic), and it tastes reasonably like fresh cooked food. It is, as it says on the packaging, a generous single portion. It describes the heat level as hot (three chillis) but I'd describe it as medium. The vegetables are typical low calories things such as squash courgettes etc. No beans. Spicy tomato sauce. The packaging perhaps make it look as if it has more vegetables and less sauce than it does in reality.

IMHO this product 'does what it says on the tin'. But, it's a bit similar to the stews I used to make when I was dieting: low calorie vegetables + tomato sauce + garlic + spices + seasoning. Especially with the cardboard and plastic packaging, and the relative ease of cooking something like this, I sort of felt it's a bit wasteful to buy a ready made one. This isn't a criticism of the product which is a good example of what it is, just a bit of self-reflection to add to the review.

Thanks for your review. I've not tried them myself but I understand these meals are copies of the Iceland Slimming World meals but, as ever, much cheaper. Slimming World is allegedly taking legal action but as Aldi has lookalikes/soundalikes of many branded products they probably will just enjoy the publicity.:)
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    Thanks for your review. I've not tried them myself but I understand these meals are copies of the Iceland Slimming World meals but, as ever, much cheaper. Slimming World is allegedly taking legal action but as Aldi has lookalikes/soundalikes of many branded products they probably will just enjoy the publicity.:)

My issue with "slimmers" meals is they're usually considerably higher in salt & sugar to compensate for the reduced levels of fat. I certainly know WW products are guilty of this but I haven't checked nutritional values of these other products.

The reason being, fat is not the problem, it's sugar! So these diet products are actually more harmful than their regular counterparts.
  • atrixa
    atrixa Posts: 549 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    middy991 wrote: »
    Anyone seen the Aldi Yorkshire pudding burrito yet
    My boyfriend was looking for that when we were in Aldi earlier today, but he couldn't see it.
    Other disappointments-
    Aldi black grapes (vile, might have to juice them as the texture is so odd)
    Lidl fruit bakes- these taste awful imo, the Aldi Fruit and Grain bars are much nicer.
    Aldi version of cheerios, too much sugar.

Some wins:
    Aldi salad tomatoes, very nice quality and they lasted ages
    Aldi gherkins
    Aldi orange juice (no bits)
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,175 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Lidl No Added Sugar Muesli bars are very impressive: two of the flavours have 0.5g of Sugars per bar or less, which is excellent (some similar products have 20 times this). The Chocolate flavour remains quite sweet (with artificial sweeteners), whilst the Almond and Hazelnut is very nutty, almost savoury.

Also, they are the same price as the ordinary Muesli bars (though slightly smaller): £1.19 for 8 bars.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    the Almond and Hazelnut is very nutty, almost savoury.
    Thanks for the recommendation, got to try them!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,101 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Talking about museli.... this from Aldi. Tastes like cardboard and looks like it too. Supposed to be raisins in it but if there was any, i didnt see them and certainly didnt taste any.
    d0af14e3-66b0-4bfe-867d-925632d45c0c.jpg
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Judi wrote: »
    Talking about museli.... this from Aldi. Tastes like cardboard and looks like it too. Supposed to be raisins in it but if there was any, i didnt see them and certainly didnt taste any.
    d0af14e3-66b0-4bfe-867d-925632d45c0c.jpg
    The you have to try this:

large?v=1.0&px=999

It was on offer this weekend, but is still worth buying at full price.

ETA: I’m not hungry, but could devour a bowl now. Yes, even in the middle of the night :D
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,638 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My DH loves the blue bag Lidl muesli. He went into Lidl by chance to get some on Saturday and came home with 5 bags. :D
  • System
    System Posts: 178,101 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Fortunately my local Aldi and Lidl are side by side and its easy to pop into one after the other.

I am finding a pattern forming. I much prefer the cleaning products from Lidl, the fruit and veg, and the chocolate crunch cereal that both my Son and i like. More choice of prepacked juice in Lidl. The men take them to work. I'll pick up the luxury muesli on Friday. I usually just have porridge oats but muesli makes a change. Prefer the meat from Aldi but dont ask me why...

I'm going to try the nappies this weekend. I like to keep a stock in for when i have my Grandaughter.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure