Bedroom carpets

Options
In 20 years of home ownership I’ve never bought carpets. I want to carpet two bedrooms, currently there is just varnished floorboards so I need everything. Is best that I just go into carpet right and get them to do the complete job? Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Jim.

Comments

• London50
    London50 Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would suggest you look for a local carpet shop/fitter. While the big ones {Carpet right ect}may do you a fair deal on the price of the carpet and fitting if there is any problems they seem to wash their hands of it where a local supplier/fitter needs to rely on quality/word of mouth to keep his business alive.
    only last year did we have our home carpeted fully and have had two calls from them asking if we have any problems [somehow I cannot see the major companies doing that]
    For me it would be local every time.
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd echo that. I would always use my local independent. They do a good job and beat one of the big players on price for an expensive carpet for my living room and they are friendly, helpful, and know their stuff.
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    +1 for an independent,or ask for recommendations from friends?
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    flashg67 wrote: »
    +1 for an independent,or ask for recommendations from friends?

I have done, no one has a clue, they just say carpet’s crap get laminate, well I’ve got laminate and I think it’s crap.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,527 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Local independent carpet shop. Measure the room before going and if the bedrooms are fairly standard modern home sizes you may get a roll end bargain.
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Hi Jim .
    What may be an idea, is to do a google search for carpet fitters in your area . Then look on their websites and you get a feel of what looks good . Some have reviews also , which is a good sign.

As mentioned, have your measurements to hand . Don’t forget underlay which is essential. Carpet grippers if to want them .
    Best of luck:)
  • cranford
    cranford Posts: 797 Forumite
    Options
    I have used Carpetright for over 40 yrs since they were Harris carpets. Always been value for money but I now make sure they have 60% off when I buy rather than the 50% that is available for the rest off the time. The discounts only apply to the carpet. Never had any problems with my local store but for most of the time it was run buy the same manager. I have even had Lord Harris come up to me when I browsing to see if he could help me!
    Before you go elsewhere you could use their web site to calculate how much the carpet, underlay, door thresholds, grippers and fitting would cost to give you an idea.
    There is also a new kid on the block that is setting up as a national chain. Run by one of the Harris family:
    https://www.tapi.co.uk/about-us/
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If friends and family have no recommendations, do you have any other tradesmen you've used and who you trust enough to ask? I don't think a quick text asking if they could recommend somebody is too intrusive, especially if they've worked for you before and might again! Our plumber put us in touch with an electrician, window fitters, plasterer, builder, joiner, chimney sweep and carpet fitters, all of whom knew they'd been recommended and lived up to expectations. Worth asking if you have no other suggestions from locals.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What I like about my friendly local independent carpet company is that the price on the roll is the price you pay. It may look expensive compared with the big warehouses, but their price includes the underlay, any gripper rods, etc., and fitting by their own fitters. No nasty surprises.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,425 Forumite
    Options
    We have a local 'roll ends' shop. They're called roll ends but are usually easily large enough to do a room. We bought the carpet from there and the shop recommended a fitter who came round and fitted it for £50.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure