PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Restoring Management Company

Options
Hi there, advice sought please!

I own a house within a gated development which I want to sell. A management company was established to oversee maintenance of the common grounds that are shared by all 5 properties. The company was dissolved by the property developer in 2016 without my knowledge.

A restriction is in place on the title deeds for all 5 properties stating that the management company must authorise any transfer of title. I’m therefore currently reinstating the management company in order to have this restriction removed.

However, neither the developer nor the owners of the other properties want to act as managing director of the company once it is reinstated. There is the option of dissolving the company again once the restriction is removed, but I am concerned a potential buyer will be put off by there being no entity in place to manage the common grounds.

I equally don’t want to be made MD as this will mean I carry responsibilities even after the property is sold.

How should I proceed?

Thanks

Comments

• AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    IANAL but would it not make more sense for the restriction to be removed on your house rather than create a management company no one wants? You could point the LR to the dissolving of the management company as the reason.
    The fact there's no mechanism in place to manage the common grounds wont go away in either case. What is the current solution regards that?
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    How are the common areas maintained?

What happens if the gates stop working, need painting, or come off their hinges?

I suspect that the real reason for the restriction etc, is because people generally don't want to buy a property without a process in place for maintaining the common areas. (e.g. fixing the gates when they break.)

Ignoring the legalities of dealing with the restriction, you might find that potential buyers are worried that none of their potential neighbours seem interested in maintaining the shared facilities.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why are none of the neighbours interested in taking on responsibility? Being a director of a management company which presumably won't be doing much is hardly all that onerous. You have pointed out to them they'll have the same problems when they sell?
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I own a house within a gated development which I want to sell. A management company was established to oversee maintenance of the common grounds that are shared by all 5 properties. The company was dissolved by the property developer in 2016 without my knowledge.

A restriction is in place on the title deeds for all 5 properties stating that the management company must authorise any transfer of title. I’m therefore currently reinstating the management company in order to have this restriction removed.
    What is the exact wording of the restriction?

If it refers explicitly to that particular management company, then you can't "reinstate" it. It no longer exists. It's "dead". You can start another management company, perhaps even with a similar name, but it isn't the same company.

It's like giving your kid the same name as your dead grandfather - the name's the same, but it's not the same person.
    However, neither the developer nor the owners of the other properties want to act as managing director of the company once it is reinstated. There is the option of dissolving the company again once the restriction is removed, but I am concerned a potential buyer will be put off by there being no entity in place to manage the common grounds.

I equally don’t want to be made MD as this will mean I carry responsibilities even after the property is sold.
    If nobody wants to be involved in the running of the company - and, therefore, with the management of the development, then you are on a loser...

Right now, the management is not being delegated by the freeholder to anybody. Therefore, it's the freeholder's responsibility. Who's the freeholder?
  • Homesweethome12
    Options
    Land Registry have ruled that the only way I can remove the restriction is by restoring the company first, so I have no choice but to proceed with that.

As to management of the common grounds, bizarrely none of the other owners seem remotely concerned with having an entity in place to manage it.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Land Registry have ruled that the only way I can remove the restriction is by restoring the company first, so I have no choice but to proceed with that.

As to management of the common grounds, bizarrely none of the other owners seem remotely concerned with having an entity in place to manage it.

Sounds a bit risky.

Will buyers want to buy your house, when they find out there is no mechanism in place to maintain and repair the common areas?
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    If it refers explicitly to that particular management company, then you can't "reinstate" it. It no longer exists. It's "dead". You can start another management company, perhaps even with a similar name, but it isn't the same company.
    you can restore a dissolved company as though it were raised from the dead, but must be within 6 years of dissolution and you were a shareholder of it.

If not you need a court order to restore it.

it may cost a few £0,000 (incl fees to Co House etc) depending on who actually does the work required.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure