IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

UKPC parking fine

Options
I was running late for a film and accidentally parked in a disabled parking bay(stupid I know just wasn’t paying attention at all) but my friend said because it’s a private car park I don’t have to pay? Is this true or is it better to just pay it? It’s £50 if paid within 14 days or £90 if paid within 28 days. Can’t really afford at all. Please help!

Comments

• Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    its a valid INVOICE (IT IS NOT A FINE) , but it may not stand up in court, although its all down to contracrts abd signage

do NOT listen to your friends, they havent a clue , TELL THEM TO GOOGLE THE NAME BARRY BEAVIS

read the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread near the top of this forum , then decide if you are appealing it as KEEPER, or not

the worst that could happen is a court case in your local civil court within 6 years and a maximum of about £200 if you lose in court

if you did lose in court, you pay up promptly (within one month) to avoid a CCJ
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I was running late for a film and accidentally parked in a disabled parking bay(stupid I know just wasn’t paying attention at all) but my friend said because it’s a private car park I don’t have to pay? Is this true or is it better to just pay it? It’s £50 if paid within 14 days or £90 if paid within 28 days. Can’t really afford at all. Please help!

Not sure how you could accidentally park in a disabled bay as they normally well marked with yellow paint ?
    Unless of course the markings were so faded ??

Your friend is very wrong and you should tell them, before they cost others money

You could complain to the cinema as a paying customer to see if they will cancel it.

A lot will now depend on the markings and each space should have a sign showing disabled only
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,777 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Submit the usual template on day 26, as you'll have seen in the NEWBIES thread.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    UKPC are fraudsters, read this

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11858473/Parking-firm-UKPC-admits-faking-tickets-to-fine-drivers.html

and complain to your MP.

The whole industry is a scam, relying on threats of court, and public's ignorance of the Law, A bill is currently before parliament which will regulate the scammers, many of whom are ex-clampers.

Hopefully that will take place in the near future. The Bill has passed through the HOC without hitch, and goes to the Lords soon. In the meantime involve your MP, the poor dears are buckling under the weight of complaints about these scammers.

This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of alleged contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors. Is has been suggested by an MP that some of these companies may have connections to organised crime.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, (especially Smart}, and others have already been named and shamed in the House of Commons as have Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each week), hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned. They lose most of them, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P. for unprofessional conduct

The problem has become so widespread that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers.

Sir Greg Knight's Private Members Bill to curb the excesses, and perhaps close down, some of these companies passed its Third Reading in late November, and, with a fair wind, will become Law next year.

All three readings are available to watch on the internet, (some 6-7 hours), and published in Hansard. MPs have an extremely low opinion of the industry. Many are complaining that they are becoming overwhelmed by complaints from members of the public. Add to their burden, complain in the most robust terms about the scammers.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure