Not Allowed A Dish?

Options
venomx
venomx Posts: 1,118 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
edited 20 January 2019 at 5:36PM in Phones & TV
Why do some landlords not allow for Sky Minidishes ? Nobody was allowed one in my last place.

There are a few on my current apartment ( about half the flats have a dish ) but the other half don't ( probably because of different landlords )

Still waiting to hear back from my landlord as to whether im allowed one or not, im guessing it will be a no though. Can’t be that difficult to establish whether im allowed one or not ! :mad:

I heard sky are going dishless soon and will be using IPTV, that hasn't seemed to happen yet

Comments

• worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Don't want it to look like a council estate......
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,305 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sometime this year on sky Q , Nowtv in the meantime for a more limited channel choice
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • venomx
    Options
    Browntoa wrote: »
    Sometime this year on sky Q , Nowtv in the meantime for a more limited channel choice

Yeah I have used nowtv plenty of times in the past. Sky is much better though

Would i need Sky broadband, or would BT do ? ( for sky dishless )
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,929 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    venomx wrote: »
    Yeah I have used nowtv plenty of times in the past. Sky is much better though

Would i need Sky broadband, or would BT do ? ( for sky dishless )

Until it launches your guess is as good as mine.
    Most likely though you'd get a better deal with Sky (as they'd probably bundle it all in) as opposed to using another provider.
  • E30M3
    E30M3 Posts: 73 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Some new build estates have a covenant in place restricting dishes being installed.
    Your landlord is likely following this covenant.
    There was one in place for my last house, however there was no virgin lines and 95% of houses had a dish...
  • venomx
    Options
    Who am i even supposed to ask for reg. a dish ?
    I called the estate agent, they then told me to phone management,
    Management told me to phone the landlord, the landlord then said we have a communal dish ( which we dont ) and then told me to speak to the block managers - who then told me to speak to the landlord.

Going round in circles and being transferred/told to speak to different people
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    venomx wrote: »
    There are a few on my current apartment ( about half the flats have a dish ) but the other half don't ( probably because of different landlords )
    1) Antennas (aerials and dishes) often require Planning Consent https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/48/satellitetv_and_radio_antenna

2) They also require Freeholder / Building management company consents to affix, even if Planning is not needed.

Both the above require time and money spent.

There should be a shared antenna system installed on any block of more than 2 or 3 flats. That also costs.

Your Landlord is the one to get things changed. But that may be too much trouble and expense... Next time ensure you have a dish at a place you rent?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure