Put away your purse & become debt-averse

Options

Comments

• foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,117 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Bluegreen143 - I've always enjoyed cooking, baking & gardening, even back when I was very spendy. I make most of our bread - I usually bake a batch of half white/half wholemeal rolls each week (good for packed lunches, burgers, picnics, etc) plus a wholemeal loaf & a white sourdough loaf, depending on how much bread we're getting through.
    Re Ziffit - Yes, I was surprised at how their offers change. For example, I've just tried a whole load of CDs which have been tried on 3 previous occasions (no interest), & found about 8 of them were now wanted & one of them had moved from being a 'No' to an offer of £1.01. I think their system must run on some kind of algorithm in that if they 'see' a barcode being offered a lot, then that's going to be a very common item, worth very little. I also sold them 2 books.....one had been refused before & the other had moved from me being offered 12p (hahahaha) to an amount I was prepared to sell at. But generally, we've found that the more popular something is, the less chance there is of them buying it. mr f has been decluttering his vast DVD collection & gave me a pile of those to try. No interest in any of them, even though some were 'limited edition' or classic films. I think from a business point of view, the scarcer stuff is going to be what sells. There must be 100s of 1000s upon 1000s of the big blockbuster movies & fiction paperbacks around, which makes them pretty much worthless. My best offers have been almost £6 for an art book and also a good price on a couple of music scores - I used to sing, & had been decluttering some of my music - mr f also got a decent price for an X-box game - can't comment further on that as it's not my thing & all the games look the same to me!
    Anyway, I've traded several boxes with them over the past year....not a huge amount at a time, between £8.50 & £24 per box, but when it comes to this loan-paying-off mullarkey, we all know that every little helps!
    So if you decide to have another go, I hope you have some successful sales!
    F
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    I've used ziffit a couple of times, good earners for me were out of date uni text books (I did a technology degree, so technology has moved on) and teacher resource books from the old national curriculum. (My degree is not one that would automatically lead anyone into teaching).

Need to have another hunt through.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • Bluegreen143
    Bluegreen143 Posts: 3,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks foxgloves, will definitely give it a go again as I have so many bookcases groaning with books and am basically a bit of a hoarder of them :rotfl: would be great to make a little bit and clear some space too. No CDs or DVDs here, we are digital/streaming only. Decluttered then years and years ago but sadly before Ziffit and when I was well off so they all went to the charity shop.
    Part time working mum | Married in 2014 | DS born 2015 & DD born 2018 | Allegedly attempting to be mortgage free - diary here
  • foxgloves
    Options
    Bluegreen143 - It's defo worth a try! Every little helps & decluttering always feels good.

Well, I've felt things sliding a little this week.....not due to a loss of money saving resolve on my part, but because life has rather got in the way of my usual budget monitoring. I've just synchronised my diary for the week ahead with mr f's diary, as it's always a good start to the week if we're both singing from the same page! I've also written myself a humungous job list for tomorrow so that I can catch up & resume my preferred level of organisation & control.
    Getting our Loan Pay Down Fund increased is absolutely key, so I will be prioritising financial tasks.
    Ok Debtbusters.....anyone else up for trying for a really good week? I can't bear letting my usual high level of organisation slip, so I'm definitely in!!
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • Redrose
    Redrose Posts: 146 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi I have just read your complete thread

I can tottaly understand about your flickering light blub....... mine as been like this for about 2 months, thinking I must sort out my monies, and try to cut back on wasting so much ( yes I know I do it ) but as you said in one of your posts "its nearly payday"...... I think I have had a little wake up call last week ( I get a balance text every Sunday from my back ) and it said £60 something pound "WHAT" OMG I only got paid the week before..... as luck as had it, I have a small savings account to transfer money over, just to make sure bills get paid etc.....

Well done on your budgting, your batch cooking and your will power to bring down your debts........ can i ask a question, you say you have "pots" of money that you have budgeted for, are these actual pots that you put cash in...

Thanks and good luck
    Hoping that when I start looking after the pennies, and the pounds will take care of them selves :j
  • foxgloves
    Options
    OK, 1LuckyLady, let's go for it! This time next week, let's say that we'll both be feeling more in control. I actually started feeling better about stuff as soon as I'd written my list!
    F x
  • foxgloves
    Options
    Hi Redrose,
    Yes, when I set our budget each month, I allow for the mortgage & all our regular bills which go out of the account by direct debit.
    Then I sort out all the different 'pots'. The first ones are groceries, travel & personal spends. I leave our grocery budget in the account (about £200 per month) & keep a tracker sheet in my bullet diary to log our grocery spending. Travel is for my partner's work. He gets it back with his expenses but needs money for parking, etc, so I give him that as £30 cash. Personal Spends pot is sort of our 'pocket money'. It's usually £60 cash each to spend on whatever we like, but once it's gone, tough!
    Then I operate 6 different 'Savings Piggies'. These are just envelopes. I withdraw the cash & pay it in each month on budget day. Our 6 Savings Piggies are Car Maintenance, Clothes, Leisure/Entertainment, Presents, Holiday & Household Maintenance. The amount I pay in each month depends on plans, how much is in there already, how much surplus money in the budget, etc. My target is £200 split between the 6 categories, but this does vary.
    I also run temporary 'pots' occasionally for specific items - i.e my partner has a big birthday coming up & so I am saving for his present because I don't want to put it on a credit card or use money from our emergency fund to pay for it.
    Hope this helps to answer your question.
    Hopefully those 'lightbulb flickers" will turn into a great big beam & you will get to embrace budgeting too! I honestly wouldn't go back to being that naughty spender even if I suddenly had a big increase in income.
    Best of luck with it,
    F
  • crazy_cat_lady
    crazy_cat_lady Posts: 7,063 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm in Foxgloves - I have to be. There's still half a month left of my solo budget and month 1 has been difficult to be honest.
  • foxgloves
    Options
    Ok, CCL. We're going to kick some serious bottom with our good moneysaving ways this week. I think it's inevitable that you'll need a bit of a period of adjustment with your solo budget, but you'll get there. I'm convinced most of it comes down to planning. I looked at my admin basket earlier & it's all spilling out & there's a ball of yarn, a some pants & a stray cat biscuit on top of it, but tomorrow it will be pristene, everything dealt with & filed away. I am feeling like Mrs Motivated. I think I'm actually going to get ready for bed now, so tomorrow will cone quicker & I can crack on with my massive list.
    Have a good week, CCL & 1LL. We can do this! Us three - 10. Wimpy lists - nil !
    F xx
  • Redrose
    Redrose Posts: 146 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you foxgloves...you have given me some something to think about on how I am going to tackle my financial problems and put my budgets into practice. ...

Sweet dreams
    Hoping that when I start looking after the pennies, and the pounds will take care of them selves :j
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback