Do i have to declare

Options
Girlfriend split with ex boyfriend. And has joint ownership of house but he pays the morgage. Shes Now living in another house left to her in her nans will.no morgage on that property. She claims pip and esa She lives in the house and rents out. the other 2 bedrooms 1 at 65 pounds and the other at 85 pounds..does she have to declare part ownership of the other house and any rental income from the house left to her by her nan....

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    EASYBOY1 wrote: »
    Girlfriend split with ex boyfriend. And has joint ownership of house but he pays the morgage. Shes Now living in another house left to her in her nans will.no morgage on that property. She claims pip and esa She lives in the house and rents out. the other 2 bedrooms 1 at 65 pounds and the other at 85 pounds..does she have to declare part ownership of the other house and any rental income from the house left to her by her nan....

Yes it needs to be declared.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    EASYBOY1 wrote: »

Also Before they split were they claiming ESA as a couple? If they were then those changes also need to be reported. If she was the main claimant then her claim will continue as a single person, if not then she will have to make a claim for universal credit.
  • EASYBOY1
    EASYBOY1 Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Ex boyfriend was in full time employment, and she was claiming the benefits mentioned.does the house her nan left her count as capital. As she jointly owns the other house.
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If she inherited the house whilst still living in the jointly owned house then it will definitely be considered capital & should have been declared to DWP.

If she split before inheriting & then moved in to live with nan, then she would need to declare the jointly owned house as capital. It's only your actual residence that isn't taken into account when working out assets.

The rent she receives needs to be declared too as shel mentions.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    cattie wrote: »
    If she inherited the house whilst still living in the jointly owned house then it will definitely be considered capital & should have been declared to DWP.

If she split before inheriting & then moved in to live with nan, then she would need to declare the jointly owned house as capital. It's only your actual residence that isn't taken into account when working out assets.

The rent she receives needs to be declared too as shel mentions.

This is not correct. If the OP is claiming contributions based ESA then both houses will not be classed as capital when calculating any ESA because contributions based benefits are not means tested.

If they are claiming CB with an income related top up then only the income related top up will be affected. They need to take a look at a recent award letter or ring DWP to ask which they are claiming. I suspect that because their partner was working then at least part of the claim will be CB.

For the lodger then they will need to get face to face advice from either CAB or welfare rights.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure