PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

UPVC window companies

Options
Looking to get new windows in the front of my house but am dreading having to let these people into my house having heard the horror stories of determined salesman virtually chaining themselves to your sofa for hours, simply refusing to take no for an answer, and all the bull about "quote only valid if you sign up now", the amazing discounts, but they end that day, and the famous "I'll call my manager at the office and lask how much I can knock off".

I know people say tell them to bog off, throw them out etc but I simply find it hard to be rude to people (although I'm not gullible or a pushover).

My sisters advice was as she did, before they even get through the door simply say to them "I have an amount I'm prepared to pay, give me your best price straight away, no bull about one day discounts, call my manager etc etc and I will say yes or no, and if no, you leave".

Comments

• njk1012
    njk1012 Posts: 263 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We had the windows and door replaced on the front of the house earlier this year. We tried to get several quotes from several companies national and local and ended up going with a small local company. We were not disappointed.

We had several larger company salesmen sat on our sofa for over an hour (sometimes two) and they were a complete pain to get rid of. I had a list of questions that were relevant Fensa registered? etc. but they wanted to go into the whole step by step process of manufacture and finish styles. I ended up feeling really rude and asking them to leave, because i suddenly had a urgent appointment!

The company we went with in the end came to the house for approximately 30 mins to measure all windows and doors that needed replacing and they invited us to their premises to choose the frames and glass finishes following this. They gave us a quote (which was the final price) the same day.

We found the national company's price started at about double the price we paid, and before they left approx 25% was amazingly offered as a discount if we signed a contract that day. Almost a year later we are still getting calls asking why we didn't use their service. 1, they were rude/arrogant, 2, the price was double that of even the mid priced local companies, 3, I hate being pressured and spoken at for over an hour in my own home.

The company we went with in the end wasn't the cheapest, but it came recommended by people in the area and the owner of the business that quoted us seemed genuinely interested in what we wanted rather than sales targets. We will be asking them to replace the windows on the back of our house also within the next 3 months.
    Grocery Challenge Sept 2021 £95.40/£500
    Declutter and Clean - 66
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Try a local independent company. I went through the same thing once and lost HOURS of my life I'll never get back lol!
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Another vote for a local independant company.

But make sure they belong to

* FENSA, or
    * CERTASS
    * GGF

Ideally check your local Trading Standards - they'll have lists of approved local companies.

also make sure:

* any warranty/guarantee is insurance-backed (in case they go out of business)
    * they don't ask too much cash up front. They all ask for something (fair enough, they are making made-to-measure windows!) but I'd stick for £25% with the rest paid on completion when you're happy
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    GM has pretty much covered it, although membership of trade bodies, like the GGF, doesn't necessarily mean a good standard of workmanship, as I have discovered.

I think the Trusted Traders scheme shows more commitment to high standards, but there's a dearth of companies in that scheme in some locations.
  • chappers
    chappers Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Options
    Find a few local independent companies and get them to quote. Depending which side of Northamptonshire you are I have some friends who own a window and door company.
    PM me if you like.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ah! Northampton?

I had 3 windows fitted last year by a Northampton company. I got quotes from 3:

* one was rude and had pages and pages of small print in the contract
    * one was expensive
    * one did an excellent job at a reasonable price
  • Richard_Webster
    Options
    also make sure:

* any warranty/guarantee is insurance-backed (in case they go out of business)

And keep the original agreement from the window company because usually the insurance backed guarantee only mirrors the terms of the company's agreement - so if it is for 10 years then the insurance company will only cover for 10 years.

I used to find that people would produce the insurance backed guarantee but it was meaningless without the original agreement as the insurance company would only back up what the company said it would do. If you've throewn away the company's aperwork then you can't claimon the insuarcne because nobody will know what is being guaranteed!
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a retired conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability for it.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If I could only borrow the TARDIS for ten minutes and go back to being young, the things I would do differently would make a book but, if I could go back only to the start of this year, the one thing I would not do is go with a certain, large "home" (for which, read "desperately needs") improvements firm based in Norwich. I did not want to but was dumb enough to be caught up in OH's enthusiasm and have regretted it ever since.

Our next door neighbours replaced their windows a couple of months after we did ours (and the doors!) using a local firm of installers who buy their windows from a local manufacturer. They have a far superior product, whose installation included a great deal of extra work (replacing a course of bricks under each window, removing tiles in the kitchen) which we did not require, plus new window sills/cills which we did not have for, you've guessed it, about £2k less than we paid.

OK, they did not replace their doors but the professionalism of the fitters left that of the national firm's standing and they don't have to use both hands to open the windows, nor struggle with locks, nor did they have two different "service engineers" visit to correct idiotic mistakes after installation. Why, oh why did I cave in? Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Local firms all the way and maybe knock on some doors if you see boards outside and ask the people if they are happy with the firm they used. What a wonderful thing hindsight is.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    And keep the original agreement from the window company because usually the insurance backed guarantee only mirrors the terms of the company's agreement - so if it is for 10 years then the insurance company will only cover for 10 years.
    I would echo this. That crummy bit of paper with all the T&C on the back looked very unimpressive, but it proved invaluable when I found myself up against complete intransigence.

I'd tied myself in knots previously, arguing this way and that without any meaningful response from a local company, trading for 40 years.

Then I discovered the company had broken the T&C in the contract.

Put a whole new light on it all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport