Capital One - billing cycle question

Options
OceanSound
OceanSound Posts: 1,482 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
edited 19 October 2019 at 11:28AM in Credit cards
My statement date is 22nd of each month. If I make a purchase on 22nd of October, would that purchase be included in the 22 October 2019 statement or would it be included in the 22 November 2019 statement?

From past experience, when I've logged on to cap1 website on 22nd to access statement, it's never been available on 22nd itself. The next day (23rd) it has been available.

I've been a customer for nearly a year now, but never carried out a purchase close to the statement date, hence the question.

It'd be really useful if you can give an answer to the question itself. I'm aware that there is always the Capital One support line that may be able to answer this. If I do that there would not be any reason to ask on here, and others will be none the wiser.

p.s. I have a feeling that it may depend on the purchase itself. Maybe something like a contactless transaction may be included with the 22 October statement, whereas, a transaction done using signature only may end up on the 22 November statement. These are two extreme examples though. Wonder if we can say with certainty that all PIN transactions etc. will/won't be included with 22 October statement.

Comments

• Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'de have thought 22nd Oct' would be visible next months statement Nov'.
    Your statement date is 22nd though the day its calculated would have been sooner, possibly.
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    OceanSound wrote: »
    Wonder if we can say with certainty that all PIN transactions etc. will/won't be included with 22 October statement.
    No, it can't be stated with certainty one way or the other.

There's a difference between online authorisation (i.e. real time check with your bank that you have available funds) and actual settlement of the transaction (after it's taken place), and these are dependent on the processes and systems of the merchant, so it's impossible to be 100% sure exactly when a transaction will reach your account and be posted there.

I don't know the answer to your other question about whether transactions posted on the 22nd will be on that day's statement though....
  • OceanSound
    edited 19 October 2019 at 1:44PM
    Options
    Dandytf wrote: »
    I'de have thought 22nd Oct' would be visible next months statement Nov'.
    You could be on to something.

On cap1 statements, I've noticed that it generally takes 1 day to hit the account. i.e. My weekday transactions take 1 day. If done on Friday or Saturday it takes 2 days. Strangely enough, I have one transaction done on a Sunday (18 November 2018) which hit the account the next day (Monday 19 November 2018). I would have thought Sunday being a weekend day it would be the same as Friday or Saturday. Apparently not. (not complaining by the way, just saying)
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,459 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 19 October 2019 at 1:56PM
    Options
    My statement date is 22nd of each month. If I make a purchase on 22nd of October, would that purchase be included in the 22 October 2019 statement or would it be included in the 22 November 2019 statement?

From past experience, when I've logged on to cap1 website on 22nd to access statement, it's never been available on 22nd itself. The next day (23rd) it has been available.

My Capital One statements are produced on 25th of the month. They used to be as regular as clockwork and statements were even produced on Christmas Day.

Capital one has become a little lax recent and my statements, while dated 25th, sometimes haven't been viewable until 26th.

I've also noticed transactions are posted to accounts quicker now than in the past.

I think usually, in your case, a purchase made on 22nd October (statement day) would appear on your November statement. However I wouldn't rely on that.

Ben8282 recently mentioned a credit card transaction was posted the same day it was made, although on a different card.
  • bengal-stripe
    Options

If it is important a transaction won't be on this month's statement anymore but the next month's, do not check for the new statement to be available, but whether the statement process has begun.

Usually statements become available not in real time but after updating during the night. Compiling the statement begins earlier with removing last month's transactions out of the rolling account. If you log into your account and you find the 'current transactions' empty means the process of statementing has begun. Any other transactions won't appear this month but the next.

If last month's stuff is still listed, there is a possibility for new transactions to be added.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I would be extremely surprised if a transaction on the 22nd was settled on the 22nd and so if your statement date is definitely the 22nd you'll be fine.

As above though, if you want absolute certainty you may want to wait until statement process has begun/the 23rd.

I regularly make transactions on statement day and it's always appeared in the next month as expected. Statements should be viewable online after approx 10:30pm on 22nd.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    edited 19 October 2019 at 6:55PM
    Options
    p.s. I have a feeling that it may depend on the purchase itself. Maybe something like a contactless transaction may be included with the 22 October statement, whereas, a transaction done using signature only may end up on the 22 November statement. These are two extreme examples though. .

No I don't think so.
    I've noticed that it generally takes 1 day to hit the account. i.e. My weekday transactions take 1 day. If done on Friday or Saturday it takes 2 days.
    Despite the fact that there are individuals on this forum who will insist that it is not correct and try to make you look stupid and not know what you are talking about for saying this, what you have written I essentially correct.
    To clarify, transaction made Monday statement will be debited at update Tuesday evening.

Speaking generally, a transaction made on statement day will not appear on that month's statement. However, if you intend to make a (large) transaction and you want to be absolutely sure, then hold off until the statement has been produced. Some lenders can vary the statement date by a day or two. Other lenders rigourously stick to the statement date. There can also be differences on how lenders deal with a weekend statement date. But this is all about variation in statement date, not variation in processing times.
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm aware that there is always the Capital One support line that may be able to answer this. If I do that there would not be any reason to ask on here, and others will be none the wiser.
    Yes, because it's always better to hear random nonsense from the internet than factual information from the company that issued your card.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    Chino wrote: »
    Yes, because it's always better to hear random nonsense from the internet than factual information from the company that issued your card.
    I would very much doubt that this situation is sprecifically addressed in the scripts of those who may be helping on the helplines.
  • OceanSound
    Options
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    ...Some lenders can vary the statement date by a day or two. ..
    Yes, M&S Bank. My statement date is usually 24th every month, unless 24th falls on a saturday, then the statement date is 25th (Sunday).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure