Unauthorised charge made me go over the limit by £1

Options
seatbeltnoob
seatbeltnoob Posts: 1,312 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
Hi

I donated £50 to a charity from my stoozing card.

The charity is locally run in my area, and I knew they were a bit unprofessional, didn't realise how amatuerish they'd be.

They charged my card 3 times. So took a total of £150.

They've taken me over the limit, and now I am facing loss of my 0% rate and a £12 fee. I am on the phone with HSBC now, (waiting 30 mins on hold) so a little bit anxious as this is my biggest stooze card.

The Philippine CS didn't understand what I meant when I said promotional rate. I repeated that my fear was losing the 0% promotion. She then asked me what do I mean when I said promotion? Then 2 minutes later she comes back from hold and tries to educate me that it's not a promotion it's an offer, and a promotion is something different. I don't know what to say, normally I be rude, but I decided to just agree for the sake of moving forward.

I felt she was just playing with words, and trying to backpeddle because she didn't know about 0% promotional rates were and came across a little but uneducated with credit cards. So she just switched the word around to offer to pretend that she knew what it was all along just I had the wrong word.

She told me that I won't lose the offer and it will still go on as long as I make minimum payments each month. But I don't trust this CSs advice because she doesn't know what she's talking about.

Anyone know what the truth is?

The call just ended now, 45 mins and nothing happened, CS will call me back before 8pm tonight to resolve this. I am doing a chargeback and not asking the charity to refund because a chargeback will save me the £12 over limit fee and maybe I can talk HSBC back into allow me to keep my [STRIKE]promotion[/STRIKE] offer as it's not my fault and was due to unauthorised charges.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Anyone know what the truth is?

The truth is however they decide to treat it, which can vary across customers and on the number of days you were over limit, and whether a statement was generated in that time.

Check your next statement to discover the truth and then escalate a complaint if needed.
  • seatbeltnoob
    Options
    the bank has done a chargeback for me. They returned the money back into my account on the day it was taken out.

I don't know if they'll still land me an over limit fee (the CS rep told me if they do I should contact them for a refund as it was due to unauthorised charges).

The other thing I have to worry about is a overlimit report in my credit report which may affect my stoozing, it might make it difficult for me to get more credit.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It shouldn'r result in the account being overlimit if it was resolved within the same banking day.
  • fwor
    fwor Posts: 6,811 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    <spam displacement, please ignore>
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts