no more windows 7 updates?

Options
After not having had one for a while I thought I'd check in control panel and there's: X Windows Update Service not running - I tried all the options given on their support page, even downloading "the" fix. Nought. Does anyone have an idea how to fix this?
(I had tried windows 10 a good while ago but I REALLY hated it, as also my printer was no longer supported and I'm not one for scrapping perfectly good gadgets, so I asked the techie to put 7 back on) . Any advice appreciated.
First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi

Comments

• H1a3rt
    H1a3rt Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    1. Go to Administrative Tools/Services, and stop the Windows Update service.
    2. Then go to the folder c:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution and delete all of the files and folders.
    3. Then go back to Services and restart the Windows Update service which will recreate all of those folders again.
    4. Then manually run the Update Service

That should kick things off again.

Also windows updates for windows 7 officially ends in 2020
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    H1a3rt wrote: »
    1. Go to Administrative Tools/Services, and stop the Windows Update service.
    2. Then go to the folder c:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution and delete all of the files and folders.
    3. Then go back to Services and restart the Windows Update service which will recreate all of those folders again.
    4. Then manually run the Update Service

That should kick things off again.

^^ If that doesn't help, try running SURT (the System Update Readiness Tool):

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/947821/fix-windows-update-errors-by-using-the-dism-or-system-update-readiness
  • dipsomaniac
    dipsomaniac Posts: 6,739 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Happygreen wrote: »
    After not having had one for a while I thought I'd check in control panel and there's: X Windows Update Service not running - I tried all the options given on their support page, even downloading "the" fix. Nought. Does anyone have an idea how to fix this?
    (I had tried windows 10 a good while ago but I REALLY hated it, as also my printer was no longer supported and I'm not one for scrapping perfectly good gadgets, so I asked the techie to put 7 back on) . Any advice appreciated.

you don't need to scrap a printer because the driver isn't being updated.

if you have activated win10 on that device you should be able to reinstall and activate automatically

wonder how many people are still running win95?
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Considering its long obsolete, its technical limitations and modern web browsers don't run on it, its little if any use in today's world.

It may still be knocking around offline in some business premises to feed some long-obscure CADCAM machine that would cost a fortune and then some more to bring up to date but apart from that...
  • Happygreen
    Happygreen Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    you don't need to scrap a printer because the driver isn't being updated.

if you have activated win10 on that device you should be able to reinstall and activate automatically

I tried. It didn't work and there was no driver for Win 10 (not even 8) available. Still, I'll run 7 until it stops. Am even considering to replace the oldie with a Mac, that's how far my joy of Windows 10 goes. :eek:

Thanks, everyone, will tackle it tomorrow!
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
  • Frozen_up_north
    Frozen_up_north Posts: 2,420 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 8 March 2018 at 1:54PM
    Options
    FWIW, Classic Shell (http://classicshell.net/) gives a Windows 7 appearance to Windows 10. It is free, I use it on 2 x laptops and 1 x desktop, works great.

Cannot help with obsolete printer though...
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Will the printer driver not install in Win 7 Compatibility mode on Win 10?
  • H1a3rt
    H1a3rt Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    Happygreen wrote: »
    I tried. It didn't work and there was no driver for Win 10 (not even 8) available. Still, I'll run 7 until it stops. Am even considering to replace the oldie with a Mac, that's how far my joy of Windows 10 goes. :eek:

Thanks, everyone, will tackle it tomorrow!

Windows 10 is not so bad once you get used to it. Its like every new operating system, no one likes the change but soon get used to it, unless its windows ME :rotfl:
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Which printer do you have OP? There may be another driver you can feed it to get it working. Sometimes you can just plug them in and Windows knows what to do with it out of the box...
  • Blackbeard_of_Perranporth
    Options
    I actually still run a windows 3.1 pc at work, for legacy equipment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure