Bidder asked me to cancel their bid but bid again?

Options
I'm selling an item on ebay which has a few bids on it- yesterday the high bidder messaged me and asked me to cancel their bid and I did, but today I can see that they've bid again and are now the high bidder again at a higher amount than they were previously! Should I be suspicious? Tempted to message them and inquire but maybe I should just leave it?

Comments

• Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I had this happen to me a few months ago but with a BIN. a buyer purchased and then messaged me to ask to cancel as he had purchased the wrong item. Happy to do that but a few days later he bought it again BIN and proceeded with purchase and there were no problems.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • parking_question_chap
    Options
    If someboy asked me to cancel their bid I would also block them from bidding again. Ok there might have been a genuine reason, but its not worth the hassle dealing with people like that.

Nothing wrong with messaging them to ask.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Agree with above, a bidder asking to cancel is a blocked bidder.

If you have time, block them and remove their bid.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,259 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Agree with above, a bidder asking to cancel is a blocked bidder.

If you have time, block them and remove their bid.

Same her as well, sad but true, protecting my account must take precedence over anything else.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • riotlady
    riotlady Posts: 442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone, have removed their bid and blocked them from bidding again. Bidding has gone up past what they had bid now so I haven!!!8217;t lost out :)
  • vacheron
    vacheron Posts: 1,606 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 5 March 2018 at 3:07PM
    Options
    It's sad to see so much suspicion when there is also a perfectly reasonable explanation: (all numbers below are made up, but you get the gist)

Buyer places a bid with a max of say £100.

Bidding is currently at £50 so he eBay automatically proxy bids him to £51.

Bidder suddenly realises that £100 may be a bit rich for him and he can only really justify spending £70 maximum.

Buyer therefore asks for the seller to cancel his bid and re-bids with an £70 maximum. Meanwhile someone else has upped the bidding to £55 so eBay will automatically proxy bid him up to be the high bidder at £56 (higher than before).

This would also apply if the buyer released he had bidded a max of £7000 when he meant to type £70.00 etc.
    • The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
  • parking_question_chap
    Options
    vacheron wrote: »
    It's sad to see so much suspicion when there is also a perfectly reasonable explanation: (all numbers below are made up, but you get the gist)

Bidder suddenly realises that £100 may be a bit rich for him and he can only really justify spending £70 maximum.

Buyer therefore asks for the seller to cancel his bid and re-bids with an £70 maximum. Meanwhile someone else has upped the bidding to £55 so eBay will automatically proxy bid him up to be the high bidder at £56 (higher than before).

This would also apply if the buyer released he had bidded a max of £7000 when he meant to type £70.00 etc.

Why is it "sad"?

Its just protecing your sale from a potential non payer.

Same person who decided that £100 was too much might then decide £70 is too much, but wait the auction is ended, so what do they do? They dont pay and ignore all messages. Been there done that, and its not worth dealing with people that give any indication that they are not certain on their commitment to buy.
  • riotlady
    riotlady Posts: 442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options

Tbh the kind of person that does that sounds like the kind of person who'd be more likely to change their mind after winning too.
    Anyway, the bidder in question is now messaging me asking why their moneys not good enough so I feel like I'm better off shot of them!
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,259 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Since buyers can remove or cancel their own bids the above scenario seems unlikely. It either means they don't want to remove their bid, perhaps they have a habit of doing this and are on an eBay warning, or else they can't be bothered to do so. Either way as a seller I would feel the need to,protect myself against such a buyer.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • November2
    November2 Posts: 1,107 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Wish someone would explain to me how the 'code' thing works, can never work out what the real name is!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure