Checking for PPI

Options
Hi my mum took out a mortgage in 1988 which was changed in 1989 and 1999 when she moved house and I was wondering what the chances were that she had PPI on her Mortgage as she isn't sure. Also how is the best way to find out if she had PPI or not?

The Mortgage was with the Britannia Building Society and it was paid off in full in 2012.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    MyUsername wrote: »
    how is the best way to find out if she had PPI or not?
    Ask the lender..

Mortgage PPI is normally not judged mis-sold though because the audit trail is far better and the insurance covers a major financial commitment with life-changing consequences if it is not paid. Basically, your mother could have lost her home..
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,486 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was wondering what the chances were that she had PPI on her Mortgage as she isn't sure.

Nobody knows apart from her. Most people take out some insurances with mortgages. Quite normal as it is a major debt with lifestyle changing consequences if it goes unpaid. That is why most MPPI complaints fail.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • MyUsername
    MyUsername Posts: 87 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Given that the Britannia is now the Co-Operative does that mean I have to go through them?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,486 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    MyUsername wrote: »
    Given that the Britannia is now the Co-Operative does that mean I have to go through them?

Did Britannia sell the PPI or did she use a mortgage broker/adviser? Britannia were often used by broker/advisers.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • MyUsername
    Options
    It was bought directly from Britannia.

I think at first though she had one through National and Provincial which I assume is now part of Santander?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure