HELP - Cancelling Package Holiday with lastminute.com - Hotel under construction

Options
Hi Everyone,

I booked a package holiday with last minute.com on the 18/06/2018 for 7th - 12th august.

After booking it became apparent I had booked a different hotel to the one I thought I had and the hotel I have booked is currently under construction (google trip advisor - hotel calvia beach the plaza)

I feel slightly mislead as the hotels have very similar names (Hotel Calvia Beach - the one I thought I was booking) and (Hotel Calvia Beach The Plaza - the one i've booked). Also when you google it, it always comes up with Hotel Calvia Beach, as the other hotel doesn't have much of a web presence due to it being built.

I have contacted last minute.com and to cancel the whole package I have to pay another £155 on top of the deposit I have paid.

Last minute.com has told me they have to get approval from the hotel to cancel it before finding me another hotel but currently can't get through to the hotel...

I would like advice on anyone elses experiences of cancelling a package or changing their hotel with lastminute.com

Also does anyone know about my consumer rights for a hotel which is under construction - the first person I spoke to at lastminute.com was like we cannot let you stay in a hotel which is under construction and the second person I spoke to said it depends on if the hotel will let us cancel.

Any advice would be appreciated - this is my first summer holiday in a while and I am very worried at the prospect of loosing money or paying to stay in a building site.

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,552 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The 'review' on tripadvisor was not from a guest that stayed there but from someone that is due to stay in August but was in the area a month ago and took photo on passing.
    The hotel is due to have opening 1st July and appears all to be on schedule - scaffolding all gone etc
    have a read here https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g580303-i10100-k11597799-New_hotel_calvia_beach_The_Plaza-Magaluf_Calvia_Majorca_Balearic_Islands.html#92212654
    (includes a photo from this week)
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 June 2018 at 9:31AM
    Options
    You have not been slightly misled, you have made an error-it shows the importance of triple checking when booking a hotel. Either that or use a travel agent.:(
  • cubegame
    cubegame Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    Options
    What makes you think they won't finish on time?

We once booked a hotel in Madeira which was being completely rebuilt and was closed up until the week before we went.

It opened on time. No sign of the construction at all.
  • Lynzie61a
    Options
    I also have a similar issue with LastMinute.com. I have to cancel my booking for a package (hotel and flight) due to unforseen circumstances. As this is 14 October and 112 days away I thought I would lose my deposit but they want an extra £192. When I booked and read their t&c I thought I would only pay more after 90 days to departure. Expert advice appreciated.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,552 Forumite
    Options
    you would be better starting a new thread. This one is about a hotel that was being built.
    You would need to go through your paperwork for the cancellation terms. Often if there is a low deposit you will need to pay the remainder of the deposit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure