Business Websites...

Options
2»

Comments

• scaredofdebt
    scaredofdebt Posts: 1,640 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If it's a really simple site you need, ie one pager then people will do this for very small amounts on gig websites, I've seen people willing to do this for a fiver. Obviously have a look at their work before going ahead, check ongoing costs, who owns the site, hosting etc.
    Make £2018 in 2018 Challenge - Total to date £2,108
  • nonstopsigns
    Options
    Using Wix, Square Space, or Shopify are the easiest in my opinion.
  • BooJewels
    BooJewels Posts: 2,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    There are web sites and there are web sites. Do you want a single contact page so that people can find you, or are you selling on-line or publishing regular content - or one of many other formats of site. It also depends on your own personal competence and confidence with such issues. Each business will have a unique set of circumstances, so there's no one simple answer.

I sell on-line and have a blog and gallery areas too. I'm reasonably confident in tinkering, so have done much of the work myself. I have a shopping cart for which I used one of the pre-made carts (free through my web host). As I recently upgraded to a new version and my site had got quite large, I did pay for the developer to migrate it over and make some mods I wanted and did the rest of the styling work myself, based on a free skin and the addition of several free and commercial mods.

It's been a lot of work, but I actually enjoy doing it (I did web design commercially in the early days when it was much simpler, so I've comfortable with HTML, style sheets and tweaking code a little), plus I don't have the funds to pay a professional for more than the minimal I couldn't do myself.

As others have mentioned, I've done sites for clients that want to update their own content, using Wordpress with a unique skin for their corporate look. For simple 'what we do and where to find us' business sites, it's a very easy format to work with and there are lots of add-ons for functionality like contact forms, maps etc. I don't have any experience of any of the site builder packages.
  • rhysadams
    rhysadams Posts: 303 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I used to use the online templates from Wix and another site. Where for me updating the site was easy and it looked good, it never worked googlewise.

I ended up getting a local web developer to build me a custom template on wordpress with a support package at the side of it. I did everything I could myself and where I got stuck, I could make the phone calls.

Since I have had a 'proper' website, its done know end of good in terms of Google and SEO.
  • deskhelp
    deskhelp Posts: 100 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you decide wordpress then themeforest is good option for looking out for perfect theme and later you can decide on hosting part.
  • bikerchris
    bikerchris Posts: 157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a business website which I made myself when I started out Self-Employed. I had the benefit of time (had redundancy pay to cover bills) and in a previous life I did web design (when Wordpress, etc. were in their infancy).

Problems experienced? None really, just the boredom of fulfilling the SEO requirements.

What I would do differently? More focus on mobile friendly, but at the time it didn't matter, whereas now SEO is affected by a non-friendly design.

What have I learned? Good website design is dull, like it's always been! :D

First thoughts should be:

Know what it's supposed to do for you. I.e. Is it supposed to draw business or just something for existing contacts to look at.

Based on the above, focus on what's important and balance the pretty/functional/SEO requirements.

I can offer more, but many commenters have really good advice.

Good luck!
    If someone is worth thanking - click on the 'Thanks' button on their response. It's just a nice thing to do :-)

Started debt at 17, stopped by 25 :-D ...I'm in debt again because of property :-/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure