Sacked Today

Options
I need your advice.

Today I have been called to a meeting and out of the blue I have been told that they want to sack me.
I believe they have no right on claiming underperformance as I am being measured against a made up sales target that I have disputed multiple times.
In the meeting, I was given the option of voluntary redundancy. I didn’t agree nor disagree, I told them I wanted to review my options.
My notice period as per my contract is 3 months and I had been with my company for 2.5 years.
As soon as I arrived home (my emails have been blocked and my colleagues made aware that I had already left the company) I received an email to my personal address telling me something like “As per your redundancy request 3 months ago today is your last day, we will pay you a sum of XXX (equating to 3 months salary).
I know the XXX money is tax free, which benefits me. However, I find this very unfair and I am considering sending them an email saying something like “I accept to give my redundancy notice today as long as I can keep the XXX lamp sum”
Please give me some advice.

Comments

• tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you want to keep your job, you will have to tell them that you didn't agree to being made redundant.

I would suggest that you take the money and find a new job. You will be in a better position than some candidates in that you can start immediately.

They can't pay you the sum they are offering tax-free and then pay you any further salary, so you can't send the message you suggest.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • Cntxy
    Options
    Could I ask for a larger sum? Basically the 3 months is my notice period, so they are not giving me any settlement ? Or is it not worth it?
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Cntxy wrote: »
    Could I ask for a larger sum?

Yes & they can say no.

So you might be able to get an extra month out of them.

If you've not taken all your holiday (pro-rata since the beginning of the year) then make sure they pay you that as well.
  • Annisele
    Annisele Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are you sure the XXX is tax free? It sounds like PILON/PENP (pay in lieu of notice/post employment notice pay), and I believe the rules on that changed around April 2018. If you're not sure, it's worth checking so you don't end up with an unexpected tax bill.
    You can ask for whatever you want, but you'll have a better idea than we do of whether your ex employer is likely to agree.
    Are you in a union? If so, get in touch with them.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Cntxy wrote: »
    I need your advice.

Today I have been called to a meeting and out of the blue I have been told that they want to sack me.
    I believe they have no right on claiming underperformance as I am being measured against a made up sales target that I have disputed multiple times.
    In the meeting, I was given the option of voluntary redundancy. I didn’t agree nor disagree, I told them I wanted to review my options.
    My notice period as per my contract is 3 months and I had been with my company for 2.5 years.
    As soon as I arrived home (my emails have been blocked and my colleagues made aware that I had already left the company) I received an email to my personal address telling me something like “As per your redundancy request 3 months ago today is your last day, we will pay you a sum of XXX (equating to 3 months salary).
    I know the XXX money is tax free, which benefits me. However, I find this very unfair and I am considering sending them an email saying something like “I accept to give my redundancy notice today as long as I can keep the XXX lamp sum”
    Please give me some advice.

They should not be back dating notice to terminate, it is a fiddle to get the PILON payment past HMRC as a redundancy payment.
  • Cntxy
    Options
    Im are getting a employment solicitor to help.
    All my colleagues have been told I have been sacked, my emails nor phone is not working.
    It is amazing how one day you go to work as normal and 2 hours later you are unemployed!!

If I go to an unfair dismissal route, will this be feed to my future employers? Do I need to tell this in a job interview? I am concerned it is a bad reflection as I look trouble.
  • garth549
    Options
    To be honest i'd probably take 3 months redundancy and find another job. Seems like a very good offer. Try and get them to agree to a reference (and its contents if possible).

Even if you dragged this out in tribunals etc and won, would you really want to go back there now? I wouldn't want to work in a job where I know I'm not wanted.
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,530 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    phillw wrote: »
    Yes & they can say no.

So you might be able to get an extra month out of them.

If you've not taken all your holiday (pro-rata since the beginning of the year) then make sure they pay you that as well.
    The 3 months is PILON so they should add Statutory Redundancy pay of another 2 weeks and the accrued holiday pay as phil suggests.

But as garth sez - the good/reasonable reference may be worth more in getting the next job. Depends on the industry and job.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • Cntxy
    Options
    The 3months is just as per my notice in the contract, so they are not really offering me any extra (apart from the tax evasion which may come back to me).

The good reference is very important, I completely agree.

I am absolutely changing jobs, however I would prefer to look for a job while on this one to take my time and find something good without any pressure.
    Now I feel I have 3 months deadline to find another job!

Thanks for all your help!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport