Help - Co-op travel insurance claim

Options
We took out Privilege Accounts with the Co-op bank as the travel insurance seemed a good deal for the family. My husband and I have been with the Co-op for over twenty years and have three accounts with them, had loans etc and found them to be brilliant - until this year. Downhill all the way. I could fill this board with the problems we have had, must have spent hours and hours on the phone. But today's takes the biscuit.

We were robbed on holiday, lost everything we had with us while three hours away from our apartment in Spain, including every single euro and the hire car keys. We did everything right, got the crime report etc, hire car replaced eventually (at a cost) and submitted the claim. Spent the day in a police station and missed the whole fiesta we had gone to see. Received a letter today turning the whole claim down, cash, childrens' jewellery, bag and hire car replacement fee. Apparently because we have no receipt for the cash conversion transaction it cannot be proved, the childrens' jewellery was itemised and an excess is placed on each person despite it being a family insurance so that is lost, and the car replacement has been turned down under personal liability. Having read the personal liability section (£2,000,000 whoohoo!) I can now see that they're unlikely to pay out for anything at all! Ironically, if I had lied and said that all the items belonged to me (I had bought them initially) then the claim would have been successful with regard to the kids jewellery, but that would have been fraudulent, well you live and learn don't you?

So, Co-op, you have failed me yet again. I've spent years praising their efficient, friendly service and admired their ethical approach to banking, but sadly it's all gone wrong. I've been awarded three customer failure payouts this year after complaining about bad service but I don't think I can take much more. I shall take this further - I don't give up easily. Can anyone give me any tips on which way to go from here?

Sal :-/
you can't take it with you...

Comments

• vansboy
    vansboy Posts: 6,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This all sounds so unfortunate - anything that unpleasent, while away, spoils your break, anyway - then further hassle, upon your return is crazy!!

I don't know much about the Co Op these days, but don't they STILL operate on their old fashioned FRIENDLY SOCIETY principles??

Do you have a branch, that you could visit? I'm assuming you've been dealing with a call centre or by post.

A helpfull member of staff could perhaps be great news, if they could go through things with you, rather than dealing with a faceless, phone operator.

Good luck!!

VB
  • realaledrinker
    Options
    A bit late to add my four pennorth, but note that their travel insurance is provided by Norwich Union, so it would not be the Co-op that you talked to.  Maybe a letter direct to them would get a result, even at this late stage.

There again, if the terms & conditions say that an excess applies to each person claiming, then unfortunately they are perfectly correct in knocking off those excesses.

This happened to me when we had to claim - not off the Co-op Bank  - doctor & pharmacy bills when the four of us got food poisoning in Spain.

If your terms are the same as my smile travel insurance policy, then I can see how a strict interpretation would allow them to reject the claim (e.g. on Personal Liability, it excludes liability arising from a malicious or unlawful acts).

Is ther any chance of claiming on your Contents insurance where maybe the excesses are less onerous?
    Ethical moneysaver
  • sal
    sal Posts: 161 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for your advice, I have actually got a result, I posted it on another thread earlier but just to sum up...

I challenged the Co-op on every point that they refused, wrote a long (polite) letter to them and copied to the Norwich Union.

I had a phone call from the Complaints Department to explain to me why I could not get any payout on my claim, by the end of the call (very friendly and understanding gentleman indeed) I had managed to be paid for everything I had claimed for :D

I am now back in the fold of the Co-op bank, so nearly dumped them though!

Just shows that you should never accept the first offer from an insurance company.

Sal
    you can't take it with you...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family