Advice on single parent benefits

Options
Hi, I have a friend whos partner has just left her. They weren't married and his name is on the house. She works part time. Can anyone give advice on what help she can get. She has an appointment to see an advisor next week but any advice in the meantime is welcome. Thanks

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi, I have a friend whos partner has just left her. They weren't married and his name is on the house. She works part time. Can anyone give advice on what help she can get. She has an appointment to see an advisor next week but any advice in the meantime is welcome. Thanks
    More information is needed to be able to help. Does she work? Rent or own their own home? Any dependent children?
  • ragdollyana
    Options
    The house is owned but it is in his name. The mortgage goes out of his personal bank account. They have a shared bank account for bills/food , etc which they both pay into. They have two children. She works part time less than 16 hours a week. Thanks.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 18 October 2019 at 10:17PM
    Options
    The relevant benefit will be Universal Credit but at the moment they appear to still be financially linked so it would be very difficult for her to claim benefits as a single person. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/universal-credit/

I think she should get her own bank account if she doesn’t have one and they should stop using the joint account. Her partner can still make child maintenance payments which will be ignored as income.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure