New! Student Finance Calculator 2012

Options

Comments

• Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi, I've tried the student loan repayment calculator and come up with the following: £9,000 p.a. tuition fee loan, £5,000 maintenance loan, £25,000 starting salary (roughly - the sliders are a little fiddly!). Repayment is £36,000, reduced to £20,250 in today's money, and not repaid in full.

But the studentfinance direct .gov .uk calculator with the same input gives a repayment of over £118,000 repaid after just over 27 years.

I'm a bit confused by the vast difference between these two - can anyone help please?! Thanks

It just shows how ridiculously overoptimistic the government calculations are on how much they'll get back from this system and what the RAB charge is. The system needs to and will be changed again before long but nothing will happen before next year's election is out the way.
  • setmefree2
    setmefree2 Posts: 9,072 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Any chance the student loan repayment calculator can show the situation with (the vey likely ) assumption that the £21k threshold is likely to be frozen?
  • setmefree2
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Request made on the Site Feedback page that the Student calculator be changed.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282699

Quote:
    In his report, Mr Willetts played down fears that the funding system is not sustainable in the long run but said the £9,000 maximum fees – which universities want to see raised – could not be frozen indefinitely.
    He proposed that the £21,000 earnings threshold for loan repayments is frozen for the five-year parliament. These questions are expected to be addressed in the government-wide spending review this autumn.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/budget-2015-maintenance-grants-for-poorer-students-to-be-scrapped-in-next-round-of-cuts-10373507.html

Since it's been proposed by the Tories that the £21,000 threshold should be frozen - and let's face it, this looks like it probably will happen - is there any chance that MSE can now change the Student Finance Calculator to provide students and parents with a scenario in which the threshold is not increased.

Is the student calculator in it's current form not misleading?

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/student-finance-calculator
  • setmefree2
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Freeze to student loan repayment threshold to hit middle-class graduates hardest, report says

George Osborne’s proposal to freeze the student loan repayment threshold will hit middle-class graduates hardest and increase the overall cost of higher education
    The IFS estimated that a student on median graduate earnings “will repay over £6,000 more in total in 2016 money”.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/11751525/Freeze-to-student-loan-repayment-threshold-to-hit-middle-class-graduates-hardest-report-says.html
  • setmefree2
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Those on median graduate earnings – earning around £23,000 in their early 20s, rising to £34,000 in their early 50s – will end up repaying over £6,000 more in total over their lifetimes.
    This increased cost works out higher than that faced by poorer and richer graduates.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3168889/Middle-class-graduates-pay-6-000-student-loans-Better-hit-Osborne-s-decision-freeze-salary-people-start-paying-money-back.html
    By not raising the amount in line with inflation, the Chancellor will collect an extra £1.4bn a year from graduates by effectively reducing the threshold to near its 2012 level of £15,000, the IFS said.
    That would be equivalent to £3,800 per student and represent an extra demand of £6,000 for people who go into middle-income careers.
    The IFS said a graduate earning £23,000 per year in their early 20s, rising to the equivalent of £34,000 in today’s money by the time of their early 50s, would see their annual repayments rise from £900 to £1,100 with the threshold freeze. The amount they would be expected to repay would rise from £27,000 to £33,000
    The think-tank said the best-paid graduates are not expected to be hit so hard because the level at which they repay their debt at a higher interest rate is also expected to be frozen, enabling them to pay it off more quickly.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/cost-of-some-degrees-will-rise-by-6000-after-george-osborne-freezes-the-threshold-for-student-loan-repayment-in-budget-10403244.html
  • gainsboroughgirl
    Options
    the student loan calculator tool has a max of 4 years so not much use for vets - 5 years
  • setmefree2
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Calculation of the average extra cost per student
    Freezing the £21,000 earnings threshold for repaying student loans in England would cost graduates an extra £2,800 over 30 years, the Sutton Trust warns.
    The study calculates that the overall extra repayment for a typical borrower taking out a loan of £36,000 over three years would rise by £2,800 over 30 years - up from £30,650 to £33,400.
    It calculates that if the £21,000 threshold was not frozen, the average male who borrowed £36,000 over three years would pay back £34,900 over 30 years; the average female would pay £26,400.
    However, if the five-year repayment threshold freeze came into force, a typical male borrower would pay £37,100 (£2,200 more) over 30 years, while the typical female borrower would repay £29,700 (£3,300 more).
    The Trust says women would be more affected than men, while those from poor backgrounds would be hit hardest.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-34336404
  • gillianf1
    Options
    I think that I may have found a technical issue with smaller numbers - for example, if you borrow £100 tuition fees per year, use the default assumptions for RPI and salary growth, and set the starting salary at £60,000 it says that you only repay £70. This is clearly not right as you would borrow £300 in total earn enough to repay this. Can you have a look at this please and let me know if you find an issue.
    thanks
  • Launchballer
    Options
    There is a problem with this calculator; it assumes that every course is four years or less. I plan on doing a foundation year in mathematics and then a PhD, seven years in total. The student loan is the full £9,000, my maintenance loan is £6,904, a total of £15,904 or £111,328 over the seven years. How much do I have to earn on average to clear that amount plus interest exactly over thirty years?
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    There is a problem with this calculator; it assumes that every course is four years or less. I plan on doing a foundation year in mathematics and then a PhD, seven years in total. The student loan is the full £9,000, my maintenance loan is £6,904, a total of £15,904 or £111,328 over the seven years. How much do I have to earn on average to clear that amount plus interest exactly over thirty years?

Different funding applies to PhD study. Do you already have an undergraduate degree? It would be very unusual to go from a foundation year straight to a PhD.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure