Working from Home Insurance

Options
This is my first post so Hi! I am just in the process of starting my own Holistic Therapies business, which will be mainly seeing clients in their own home. However I would like the flexibility of see the odd client in my home. I ran my insurer to see what i should do re buildings and contents and they cut me dead saying I wouldn't be insured for people coming to my house. I was gutted.... Please does anyone know of a company that can help me

Thanks
Sonia

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My wife is a holistic therapist and the VCT insurance covers her in their homes and her clinic as well as personal injury in our home (even hopi ear).  

However, you will need to get a work from home house insurance if you want to have clients in your own home and you may find it isnt worth the additional cost.   You are possibly looking at double your normal premiums, if not more.

Your best bet is to go to an insurance broker in a case like this as the "internet" and "direct" companies wont be interested in covering you.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Sonial_3
    Options
    Thanks DD, I will get my insurance throught the FHT ie VTCT) to cover Public Liability, Professional indemnity etc however like your wife it's my household insurance I'm concerned about as my current insurer says I won't be covered if I see clients in my own home. Does your wife practise from home? If so what has she done about the home - buildings and contents insurance?

Thanks
    S
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    No, she doesnt use our home to see clients. So, we are fine with the home insurance.

As i mentioned, the telephone, internet or direct providers are only interesting in covering the average person. You now fall out of that catagory as you will be seeing clients at home. So, your best bet it is to pop into your local insurance broker and see who they offer.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Smitty
    Smitty Posts: 341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sonia, I am in the same boat as you... just starting up a therapy business where I will be seeing clients in my house (only a couple a week). Esure and Tesco cut me dead too.

I have found an insurer that covers you for this, which is Direct Line. They said it would not increase the price of my policy, but they only cover contents if there has been a forced entry... so if you have someone round that swipes your TV & DVD while your back is turned then it is not covered.

I've spoken to other people in the same situation as me, and most have normal contents insurance and just dont tell their insurers about the business they run. One of them has made a couple of claims for burglaries and they have coughed up no problem.

So the choice is yours

1) Direct line all above board but contents only covered after forced entry

2) change you current insurer and dont tell the new one about your business. Everything covered but if you make a big claim and they investigate, youll be cr#?pping yourself until you get that cheque.

I am not comfortable with either option :'(
  • vansboy
    vansboy Posts: 6,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    & don't forget to speak to the planning department, at the council, too.

You'll need, AT LEAST, some form of agreement/licience from them to legally work from home.

They'll ask afew silly Q's, like how many deliveries will you have each day, as well as what parking provisions you've made, what hours you'll work, how many staff... might even want to come & see the house!!

Not easy is it??

VB
  • murphydavid
    Options
    Hi
    Just a thought. My wife is a child minder working from home with very similar situation, not only adults visiting but children as well. Morton Michel do home insurance directed specifically for child minders, maybe they would quote for your situation as well. If you visit their site you need to click on the link “childminder “ “homecare home cover” to see their standard policy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure