Pay off mortgage and start having fun!

Options

Comments

• newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Have managed to have a fairly good week this week. Did spend money on a girls night out, haven't done that in ages. But OH brought home some extra work that needed doing and said he'd pay me £50, it took a lot longer than I thought, but I am really pleased with the extra!
    I just wish I had changed things 15 years ago, we have always lived beyond our means, not on big things, (we havent been abroad for 14 years), but steadily overspending on everyday stuff, when the overtime was taken away we would'nt cut back , just use the credit cards.
    Now I feel like we can have treats , but carefully planned ones, using vouchers, taking lunches etc. and I feel so much more in control, there is an end goal in sight (a long way off mind!)
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • pammyj74
    pammyj74 Posts: 3,290 Forumite
    Options
    It's that light bulb moment, we all wished we had done it sooner. I wish I had started mine many years ago lol, wouldn't have been possible when I was with ex as he was/is such a bad spender but once I got my finances sorted out when he left I should have started earlier but saying that I did have savings which I bulked the OPs out once I started in the beginning.

Good luck on the sealed pot, I also do the virtual pot which I tend to put more in there than cash. On occasions I'll put the odd £1 and 50p in my pot. I hope there will be a fair bit before xmas :)
    MPs left feb '08 276- Dec 13 36 :T MB Jan 10 ~ £82,377 Dec 13 ~ £29987
    EMFD was Feb 32 :eek: NOW Dec 2013 its Dec 2016
    MF new target Dec 16 REACHED!! :j
  • newgirly
    Options
    I like the idea of a virtual sealed pot,I know this is a daft question, but does that mean doing online transfers to a savings account?
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • pammyj74
    Options
    yes basically anything over £5 or £10 you transfer to another account and you dont miss it. In about 6 months I have put over £250 and I havent missed it. I just put a few quid over every couple of days.

see the virtual sealed pot thread :)vsp thread
  • newgirly
    Options
    Great, thanks will look at that
  • newgirly
    Options
    Have followed Pammyj74's lead today and have opened an online isa so I can do a virtual sealed pot. Have opened one for DH as well, I went through topcashback so should get £20 each ( he doesn't get to keep his though, its going in piggy!) so thanks Pammy ;)
  • pammyj74
    Options
    Good on you, and for going through cashback. Have you joined the thread?
  • newgirly
    Options
    Joining the vsp thread will be on tomorrows to do list! :D
  • Queen-Bee_2
    Queen-Bee_2 Posts: 828 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Well done on the Topcashback savings Newgirly. I've just checked my own balance and see that over the last 10 months, I've clocked up over £300 - and given I'm living very frugally at the moment, I've only been forking out for the essentials...
    QB
  • newgirly
    Options
    Hi, everyone :hello: have done my weekly shop today at mr s. a very large trolley full of orange and white basics stuff! still managed to go over budget, so have borrowed from next weeks grocery money oops.

Have finally got the papers through for re-mortgage to sign, but they have done it over the wrong term, I wanted 12 years and they've done 13. So was back on the phone again to them, I have rung up so many times now trying to hurry them along, now I know that every day of interest counts :)

DH has got his payrise this year, I worked it out at £16.50 pw but its come in at £12.92pw, pleased at the extra, but disappointed its not as much as I thought. Most years I would hardly notice the payrise, this year I want EVERY extra penny:D

I have done about six one poll surveys today, got about 50p I think, and have activated my new online isa, which when it clears will have the grand total of £1.00 in it. Am trying hard at the moment, but I know if it wasn't for this site I would have probably failed already. I must keep checking in so I can keep on the straight and narrow, as have friends (and family) who spend lots, and I don't want to get led astray, as they have the money to spend but I don't!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback