Milann's life keeps getting in the way.......

Options

Comments

• milann
    milann Posts: 10,586 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A year seizure free till he can drive again. He is finding it frustrating but we have fantastic transport links nearby - buses, trams and mainline train station all within a half hour walk away and Manchester airport a half hour bus ride - just need passports and lottery win if we want to use that ;) I'm happy to drive locally as long as it doesn't involve a motorway. It's all doable but to be honest I think we are both coming to terms with the shock of it happening and him not just jumping in the car to nip here and there. But I can live with that I just can't get the picture of it happening out of my head - just happy to still have him with me - LOL I'm getting all soppy now........ Scary thought is if it'd happened a few minutes earlier he'd have been in the car driving..........doesn't bear thinking about. He can see the reason behind the ruling and is quite accepting that its for the best - just takes some getting used to.

Been and picked up my M&S order this evening - really pleased - feeling much perkier.

Not done too well food wise today - krispy creme doughnuts in the staff room today - I wanted to know what the fuss was about them as I refuse to pay the silly price they charge for them - enjoyed them but not worth paying the extra money for. Chocolate digestives jumped into my mouth too... 4 of them.........

Waiting for the gym to get back to me so I can see what the reduced package the physio suggested is all about.

Need to up my walking again - car and new job means I'm not walking anywhere what i used to.
    January spends - £587.58
  • milann
    Options
    Getting back on track and paid the total of this months cc off in full - that'll mean no interest :)
    I still have £700 on it to go on next months bill - just under £500 of that is my car insurance. If it hadn't been for the insurance I would have had enough cash to be debt free - but I've had some big items to pay and have paid my loan in full so I'm really happy with the way everything is going - next month should see me getting back to my normal spends and hopefully nothing unexpected to fork out...........

Just been thinking back 10 years when I had over £20,000 in debt - don't know the full amount that dh didn't know about and I was in hospital in and out of ICU. Over a year off work and a whisker away from losing my job - I was forced to re-think my habits!!!!! Scary days that I never want to return to. I did it juggling cards to 0% and cutting back paying off bits of extra as and when I could. I know some folk give themselves targets to reach but I always seemed to set myself up to fail when I did that and the best way for me was just to go in the right direction even if by pennies.
    Roll on next month when I can pay my cc in full and have enough in my bank to cover the following month so I could pay it if needed there and then (I collect the points for days out and pay each month in full so as no interest) That's when I'll class myself DEBT FREE
    Got some nice things to look forward to over the next couple of months - a week at dd's and then a luxury weekend in Scotland to see Elton John. Train tickets all paid for but still got to pay for hotel - but it's all doable - feels so good to be able to say that.
    January spends - £587.58
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,296 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    All sounding great~~ so chuffed for you :j :j
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • milann
    Options
    Granny cuddles waiting as we go to my dds for a couple of days. Hopefully the sun will shine and train journey be hassle free ;)
    January spends - £587.58
  • beanielou
    Options
    Enjoy. :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

• milann
    Options
    Life is mad - just don't know where time is going.............
    I'm ferrying dh about and I don't mind for 1 minute as he has looked after me for years but I can't believe how much time it eats into.

I managed to pay my cc in full last month but only paid half of this month as there were a lot of holiday spends on it.........I have an expensive weekend coming up - going to see Elton John and really looking forward to it. So next months card will probably be paid over 2 halves then BACK TO PAYING IT EVERY MONTH - no messing.

I bought a 12 week countdown to Slimming World at my old group as I really missed it - mainly the lovely folks who I saw there (lol how sad is that!!!) so I'm going for it - I've lowered my target weight by half a stone which is what I've always really wanted but never believed I could do.......we'll see!! I've also started going to the gym with a referral from the physio - 6 months at virtually half price. 1st weigh in tomorrow - feeling good :)

I pulled a piece of wallpaper from my hall which was only held on with the paint around the edge and the whole length came off in my hand - wish I'd have left it now.........looks a right mess!! So operation do the house up is going to start over the summer holidays.........need to sort the bathroom and hall which are both BIG jobs that we can't do ourselves....gonna be pricey too me thinks. Then I'll emulsion the bedroom and living areas. When that is all done it'll need new carpets.... not sure what possessed me to get light beige carpets last time but they've done 10 years (more than I expected as they were the cheapest of the cheap).... It also works out cheaper to get the hall and living room done together as its a long narrow room and the carpet fitter worked out he could do the stairs with the offcuts and a little bit extra.

I got dh to drill the bottom of those pot money boxes a friend bought me and I'd thrown loose change into - I was amazed there was £130 on it - made me smile ;)

Off for a half hour at the gym before I pick dh up
    January spends - £587.58
  • milann
    Options
    OK - so here I am again - ANNOYED with myself.............

I didn't get around to paying my cc off as I'd planned last time I'd posted neither did I this month....... LIFE GOT IN THE WAY.......again!!!!!

We had a fantastic time in Edinburgh when we went to see Elton John in June - I knew it was going to an expensive time - what I hadn't counted on was the room I'd booked back in February hadn't been processed and I hadn't realised until the night before we went - my fault - I'd skimmed over an e-mail and mis-read 'needs confirmation' for 'confirmation...........I managed to get in the same hotel BUT it cost an extra £150.
    Then I realised neither of us had any photo ID so £180 for our passports.....after that burst under the floorboards which insurance wouldn't pay out for as it was classed as wear and tear......I could go on wittering about decorating, carpet etc but the upshot is my cc card which I'd been paying off religiously wasn't being paid in full and was incurring over £20 a month interest.

So I had an interest free offer from an old cc and I have done a balance transfer of 1,700 - I will set up a dd and make overpayments to get it done as quickly as possible - the £40 transfer fee is going to work out cheaper than paying the interest and I'll go on using my Mr T cc card monthly fr the points and pay in full to stop interest.

In one respect I'm annoyed but feel as if I am back in control - and will pay off - the payments will still be £100 less a month than the loan I paid off earlier this year - I think I was too ambitious paying so much off and didn't leave myself enough for the unexpected.

SW is going ok - still a bit of a see-saw and going slowly but heading in right direction.

Can't believe I've been off school a couple of weeks already - I've not stopped - I have been painting my bedroom and altering curtains - it worked out cheaper to buy ready made curtains that were too big and re-size than to but material and make from scratch!! it's coming together nicely...........just waiting for carpet to arrive next week......

I WILL get myself debt free - I was so close and will get there - I will!!!!
    January spends - £587.58
  • milann
    Options
    Been back at school virtually a month and had a massive scare when I opened my wageslip - they had messed up big time and all I got was a £160 tax rebate.........after a mild panic of wondering if I'd mis-read my contract and was no longer paid for the holidays realised it was a mistake. Thankfully it was in my account the same afternoon and I had apologies and promise of work picking up any charges I might incur. Now I know why I don't arrange for any payments to go out until 3 days after payday - just in case of c@ck-ups!!!!!!

Feeling a bit cheesed off as had lots of things go wrong in the house and everywhere is a mess - burst pipe in the foundations, toilet overflowing and then general damp making paper fall off in the hall - since we had cavity wall insulation. The up shot is we basically need a new bathroom and we have half stripped the hall - its not worth decorating the hall until the bathroom is done. We've been waiting on the plumber since July and he keeps putting us off..... Went in B&Q today to see how quickly they could do it and even they have a 3 month wait!!!!! We ordered a new front door in August and the cheeky (putting it mildly)company 'think' we may have asbestos in the porch above the door and although they have already charged us £70 for a surveyor to measure up want to charge another £150 to send another surveyor to discover what the unidentified material is - none of the neighbours have asbestos and all the houses are peas in a pod - I strongly suspect they are trying to scam us. If it was a charge to remove said unidentified material I'd have no problem but surely the 1st surveyor should have sorted this.........so now we have to find another door from somewhere else and have paid £70 out for nothing..... 1 step forward 2 steps back!!!!!!!

I've paid my monthly spend cc off in full and made minimum plus £100 off the 0% . I'll have it paid within it's 0% period.

I treated myself to a new notepad and have started a spending diary today - gone a bit mad of late treating myself and dh during this period whilst he is unable to drive. Fingers crossed he will be fit to drive in December when he can re apply for his license as it has really changed our lives - especially his.....but I'm just happy he hasn't had any underlying illness causing the seizure.

Enough of the whinging - I'm off to make a cuppa and watch Victoria
    January spends - £587.58
  • beanielou
    Options
    Good to see you.
    Boo to all the house stuff.
    Here's hoping for DH & driving.

• milann
    Options
    Not been on here for a while - that thing called life has well and truly got in the way again..............
    MIL had a nasty fall back in September and pneumonia set in - anyway to cut a very long story short she passed away in October. There was an awful lot of running around and extra expenses to pay for (although she had sorted out and paid or her funeral herself) The funeral wasn't until mid November - it was all very sad - but she had had 95 mainly good years , but she is missed.

Then mid December I had a brand new Grandaughter - she is beauty but I'm looking through those special rose tinted grandma glasses

We've had a new front door and a new bathroom - both looking good now but encountered problems along the way with leaks, plaster knocked off walls meaning extra phone calls workmen having to come back for extra visits and general bleurrrgh we could have done without - one day something will be straightforward LOL

So the upshot of all this is I've not paid my cc off in full as I usually do and am in a bit of denial as to what the total might be............so tomorrow I plan to do a bit of getting myself back on plan!!
    January spends - £587.58
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure