IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Disabled space/scotland

Options

Comments

• Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,249 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As above, see a store manager not customer services.

You should still edit your first post to remove information about who did what. Only ever refer to The Driver and The Keeper, who are two different people. ;)

When you see the store manager you truthfully say you were an occupant of the car, and another occupant is disabled.

Remind him/her that other stores are available.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Johno100 wrote: »
    Scaremongering nonsense. I'm sure the OP isn't going to rack up tens of thousands of pounds worth of tickets or more importantly disclose who was driving.

When I look at your previous post, that is just the cavalier rubbish I was talking about.
    Johno100 wrote: »
    So the advice is to ignore, file the correspondence away for reference in the unlikely event they try court (they've got 5 years in Scotland).

It's not your risk or money and to highlight that it's not a "follow the Ostrich and ignore ' cos they can't do anything" is NOT a 100% guarantee in Scotland. I agree that it is not usual for PPCs to bother with court in Scotland but this is Parking Eye who are probably the most litigious of PPCs.

The OP did the correct thing, by engaging with the store as per Beamerguy's suggestion.
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Guys_Dad wrote: »
    When I look at your previous post, that is just the cavalier rubbish I was talking about.

Well if I'm being cavalier (which I'm not) then so is the Sticky.

Q - ''I'm in Scotland/NI, so is the advice different?''

A - IF THE EVENT TOOK PLACE IN SCOTLAND OR NI, WE SUGGEST YOU DO (ALWAYS!) COMPLAIN TO STORE MANAGEMENT IF YOUR PCN IS FROM A RETAIL PARK, BUT DO NOT APPEAL, UNLESS YOUR CAR IS A COMPANY/HIRE/LEASED VEHICLE, IN WHICH CASE, APPEAL AS HIRER/LESSEE (SEE * AT THE FOOT OF THIS POST).

IN SCOTLAND/NI, CERTAINLY COMPLAIN TO THE RETAILERS, BUT IGNORE THE PARKING FIRM UNLESS YOU GET A CLAIM.

IN SCOTLAND THIS IS EXCEEDINGLY RARE, AND DEFENDABLE BY A KEEPER, WHO CURRENTLY HAS A FAR MORE PROTECTED POSITION IN LAW THAN AN ADMITTED DRIVER.

WHEN IGNORING IN SCOTLAND/NI, KEEP ALL LETTERS. DO NOT THROW THEM AWAY, FOR 5 YEARS
    It's not your risk or money and to highlight that it's not a "follow the Ostrich and ignore ' cos they can't do anything" is NOT a 100% guarantee in Scotland. I agree that it is not usual for PPCs to bother with court in Scotland but this is Parking Eye who are probably the most litigious of PPCs.

So appeal to PE? Chances of that being successful? Then what with no POPLA? All the time risking outing themselves as the driver.

They might be the most litigious in England and Wales but have you seen any cases on here where they have tried court in Scotland (apart from the odd case where they were evidently geographically challenged)?
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 13 October 2018 at 5:53PM
    Options
    I find it a bit strange that PE, which is an almost 100% ANPR parking firm, has boots on the ground at a random Asda store in Scotland. I know there has been one at IKEA Giltbrook Nottingham which we've dealt with a few times, but it is quite unusual to have one crop up like this.

@OP - you might want to query with the Asda manager whether this was a PE employee or an Asda trolley collector with a 'snap and trap' smartphone camera.

In terms of speaking with the manager to get this cancelled, you might take in a copy of the Blue Badge, which will hopefully be enough to tip him/her to cancel.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    but this is Parking Eye who are probably the most litigious of PPCs.

Except in Scotland where PE hardly ever do court - and where the driver hasn't identified themselves, I don't think we have ever seen any instance of them progressing beyond debt collector letters.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options

The OP did the correct thing, by engaging with the store as per Beamerguy's suggestion.

PE used to be very litigious but have calmed down significantly over the past few years.
  • Jessicarat
    Options
    Just an update! Called in to Asda today and the manager was willing to get this parking fine cancelled for me when I explained the circumstances. I’m grateful to everyone for all the helpful posts. Beamerguy and Fruitcake, great suggestions to edit my post but I didn’t know how. (New to forum) Umkomaas, you’re right about it being a random store in Scotland, Parking Eye operating not in a big city but a rural location in the north!
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,249 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Jessicarat wrote: »
    Just an update! Called in to Asda today and the manager was willing to get this parking fine cancelled for me when I explained the circumstances. I’m grateful to everyone for all the helpful posts. Beamerguy and Fruitcake, great suggestions to edit my post but I didn’t know how. (New to forum) Umkomaas, you’re right about it being a random store in Scotland, Parking Eye operating not in a big city but a rural location in the north!

That's good news, but just remember it isn't cancelled until parking lie say it's cancelled.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jessicarat wrote: »

Yes, contacting the retailer was the right way to go. Better than just filing the communication and relying on the fact that you are 100% safe in Scotland ignoring the tickets.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options

The problem wasn't your fundamental suggestion - it was the case you linked to try and reinforce your point. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure