Where do I stand with partial refund on eBay?

Options
Hello. I’d be grateful for any advice anyone may have from a legal point of view.

23 days ago I purchased a flywheel and clutch kit from a seller on eBay. It was a fixed price listing. I paid in full for the package (£272) was it delivered. Yesterday my mechanic try to fit the parts and found that the clutch was not as advertised and did not fit.

It was advertised as a premium brand clutch but it was a cheap imitation which did not fit and was missing the essential bolts too. He then went ahead and sourced a proper branded clutch (£120) and fitted it to my car.

So I’m now left with a claim for a partial refund with the eBay seller. Considering the inconvenience they have caused by mis-representing the original sale I think I have grounds for a claim.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,206 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello. I’d be grateful for any advice anyone may have from a legal point of view.

23 days ago I purchased a flywheel and clutch kit from a seller on eBay. It was a fixed price listing. I paid in full for the package (£272) was it delivered. Yesterday my mechanic try to fit the parts and found that the clutch was not as advertised and did not fit.

It was advertised as a premium brand clutch but it was a cheap imitation which did not fit and was missing the essential bolts too. He then went ahead and sourced a proper branded clutch (£120) and fitted it to my car.

So I’m now left with a claim for a partial refund with the eBay seller. Considering the inconvenience they have caused by mis-representing the original sale I think I have grounds for a claim.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks
    There is no facility on eBay for a partial refund, although the seller does have the ability to offer one if they chose. If you open a SNAD case you can ask for a partial refund if you return part of the set, but seller can insist on the whole lot back for a full refund.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You have grounds for a refund, by returning the incorrectly described item in full.

You don't have grounds for a partial refund (as outlined above).

Inconvenience doesn't come into it sadly.
  • 19lottie82
    19lottie82 Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A bit off topic, but I own a garage and it always amazes me the amount of people who want to supply their own parts that they’ve bought off eBay, just to save a few quid. You’re getting no warranty and it can end up costing you a LOT more in the long run.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why would you want a part refund on a cheap junk clutch/flywheel kit?

Not all kits come with bolts, did they list bolts as being supplied in the kit?

Cannot help but think that flywheel will last 1 day past any warranty period.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• nomadicmatt
    nomadicmatt Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. To clarify it was my mechanic who told me what to order and not me trying to buy cheap parts of my own.
  • TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,382 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. To clarify it was my mechanic who told me what to order and not me trying to buy cheap parts of my own.

Which should ring some alarm bells - Your mechanic might be the best, but some more unscrupulous operators do this to ensure that they don't have to deal with any issues or claims arising from their work....they can just blame a faulty part, which of course they didn't supply.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Your mechanic cannot get better deals than unknown ebay items?

Quite often you supply the parts the garage will add some onto the normal labour rate due to issues like this which takes time and can be a pain if the car is blocking a ramp or space.

They should get decent discounts also. Like Euro and GSF etc. Their prices are a lot less than main dealers and often its the same manufacturer. But you can get trade accounts and get even better deals.

I have a feeling i know who you ordered from and it wont be a proper branded item. Have to check and see what they call themselves this week.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• askmeaboutsofas
    Options
    I don't understand. Why do you want a partial refund? What use do you have for an off-brand, poor quality clutch? If you don't want to keep it, open a return request through ebay for "item not as described". Return it, and get all of your money back.
    Well informed on the subjects of sofas and wood furniture, and well opinionated on everything else :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure