Ethical Screening of investments - a free way?

Options
Wildsound
Wildsound Posts: 365 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
edited 22 September 2018 at 7:05PM in Savings & investments
Hello all,

Appreciate I might be getting a bit too technical for these forums and that this would perhaps be more a question aimed at professionals, but if anyone knows of anything regardless, I am of course welcome to solutions.

Background:
I am looking to attempt to build investment portfolios (collective investments like OEICS, unit trusts, ETFs etc...) on a scaling risk level (excluded the highest and lowest risk levels) with the aim of being able to ethically screen (negative screening) some of the most common types of ethical concerns (military, tobacco etc..).

Positive screening towards ESG (Environmental, Social and Governance) is becoming more popular and is another aspect I am thinking about playing around with, but I know this applies a different approach to negative screening and it's not the most important thing for me right now.

Question:
Are there any free software/websites around which allows me to filter through the vast range of collective investment vehicles based on ethical criteria? I.E. If military is input as a key ethical objection, it would filter out all funds which don't have a mandate to avoid this?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I know IFAs can do it using the software. However, i don't know of any software that does it for free (otherwise IFAs wouldn't have to pay for the software they have to use). Will be watching this thread in case someone does mention a free source though.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Wildsound
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    I know IFAs can do it using the software. However, i don't know of any software that does it for free (otherwise IFAs wouldn't have to pay for the software they have to use). Will be watching this thread in case someone does mention a free source though.

Out of interest, which software do you use? If you would rather pm me or if you'd rather not say, that's fine though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure