Best return minimal risk advice

Options
hi all.

I want to put aside a large amount somewhere where it will return me a decent amount without risk and headache,

ive had all my cash invested in property for the last 10 years and im cashing out and its enough for where im going to last me.

any ideas .

thanks

Comments

• tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,969 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Only National Savings & Investments is "risk free", so as long as you haven't got more than £4m, you will be with NS&I.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • Terry_Towelling
    Options
    You thread title says 'minimal risk' but the body text says 'without risk'. Do you want no risk or just a bit?

How large a sum are you thinking about and is there any CGT issue with cashing out of your property investments?

How old are you and what is your pension provision?
  • ron937
    Options
    CGT has been taken into account

I will have about 2.5mil.

im 50, pension is fine

minimal risk, dont want any headaches
  • Terry_Towelling
    Options
    Well, unless you have a particularly lavish lifestyle it probably doesn't matter which low-risk option you choose. Might as well go with NS&I as tacpot12 suggested. No idea how your investment started out but it looks like you've made all the return you need. Trying to squeeze any more out is just going to increase your tax bill and might be seen as gilding the lily.

I'm sure there are others who will now view me as the Anti-Christ but in my world the capital alone would last me at least 200 years (ignoring inflation) and I don't plan on being around for more than 175.

Good luck!
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What risks do you want to be minimal?

Investment risk?
    Inflation risk?
    Shortfall risk?
    Tax risk?

What risks are sensible for the objective required?

You are not really giving us much to go on.
    im 50, pension is fine

But could it be better and fit the objective? Pensions today can just a tax wrapper after all. It shouldnt be eliminated unless it's down to eligibility or lifetime allowace.
    I will have about 2.5mil.

So, you are going to be looking at options that are more advanced than a typical retail consumer.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • A_T
    A_T Posts: 959 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

I'm sure there are others who will now view me as the Anti-Christ but in my world the capital alone would last me at least 200 years (ignoring inflation) and I don't plan on being around for more than 175.

Good luck!

OP musn't drawdown more than 5% per annum or it's the workhouse for sure.
  • Audaxer
    Audaxer Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well, unless you have a particularly lavish lifestyle it probably doesn't matter which low-risk option you choose. Might as well go with NS&I as tacpot12 suggested. No idea how your investment started out but it looks like you've made all the return you need. Trying to squeeze any more out is just going to increase your tax bill and might be seen as gilding the lily.

Good luck!
    I tend to agree. If your pension is enough and you have that much extra cash, maybe one option is just to put it in an NS&I product without any risk to your capital, as even with the inflation risk you will have more than enough to last you? On the other hand with that much you could afford to take some risk and it seems a shame to hold it all in cash, so if it was me I would want to invest a good portion of it, but with that much at stake I think I would probably be prepared to pay for an IFA.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 22 September 2018 at 9:43PM
    Options
    A_T wrote: »
    OP musn't drawdown more than 5% per annum or it's the workhouse for sure.

Even a man as rich as that would surely want to keep his annual income just a shade below £100k p.a.

More seriously, I suppose your Wealth Managers - or whoever deals with wealth of this size - could advise you how to split some of it it across two or three respectable foreign countries, just in case we get a confiscatory government in office soon. Where do you think? Switzerland? Singapore? NZ? Bermuda?
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • A_T
    A_T Posts: 959 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    kidmugsy wrote: »
    Even a man as rich as that would surely want to keep his annual income just a shade below £100k p.a.

yeah at least until his state pension and winter fuel allowance kicks in.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    A_T wrote: »
    yeah at least until his state pension and winter fuel allowance kicks in.

And Christmas Bonus.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family