IVA fees

Any info on IVA fees and how much of the debts get discounted?

are some firms better than others?
Now we all know how it felt to play in the band on the Titanic...

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,870 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Any info on IVA fees and how much of the debts get discounted?

are some firms better than others?

Hi,

The real clue is in the name "Individual" voluntery arrangement.

Everyones circumstances are different, so everyones arrangement, although very similar, will be subject to there own personal circumstances, some will pay back all the debt, others will pay less.

As for fee`s every IP has there own fee structure, i think stepchange is one of the cheapest, there fee`s can be viewed on there website.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • VA fees: what do they cover?
    The costs involved in an IVA are:

A nominee fee
    A supervisor fee
    Disbursements
    The nominee fee is the cost for helping you to put the IVA proposal to your creditors. This is subject to approval by your creditors. Depending on who your creditors are and the amount of your monthly contribution it could be either the first five payments into the IVA, or £2,000.

The Supervisor fee is 15% of any further realisations, to cover the on-going costs of the IVA. So, if you entered into an IVA you'd pay monthly contributions or money from assets to pay the nominee fee at first. Then any remaining money you'd pay towards it would go towards the Supervisor fee.

Sounds expensive TBH
    Now we all know how it felt to play in the band on the Titanic...
  • Fees are a bit of a red herring, the real key to an IVA is affordability and sustainability. If it is affordable and sustainable then it should complete.

All fees are taken out of the pot built up over the time of the IVA and are not on top or separate to the monthly payment.
  • mwarby
    mwarby Posts: 2,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    regarding the amount the debt gets discounted - This depends on the amount of debt you have, and the income and expenditure that you agree between you, your IP and the creditors. The monthly payment isn't fixed it can change if your circumstances change, the duration is fixed (unless you own own home, then you may get 1 year extra if you can't release equity)

The pence in pound can range from 1p/£1 or less to 100p/£1. In my case it was around 25p/£ (ie the creditors got 1/4 of original debt)

As others have said unless its likely you will be paying close to 100p/£ the fees don't really factor in to it as the debtor (the creditors will seek to reduce fees as much as they can as it affects their return)

Some people will the big IVA firms some the smaller ones. With smaller firms you may feel you get more individual treatment, I picked one which was active (and friendly) on another forum. Worth bearing in mind that your IVA can be sold on to another firm
  • Craig1981
    Craig1981 Posts: 769 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    VA fees: what do they cover?
    The costs involved in an IVA are:

A nominee fee
    A supervisor fee
    Disbursements
    The nominee fee is the cost for helping you to put the IVA proposal to your creditors. This is subject to approval by your creditors. Depending on who your creditors are and the amount of your monthly contribution it could be either the first five payments into the IVA, or £2,000.

The Supervisor fee is 15% of any further realisations, to cover the on-going costs of the IVA. So, if you entered into an IVA you'd pay monthly contributions or money from assets to pay the nominee fee at first. Then any remaining money you'd pay towards it would go towards the Supervisor fee.

Sounds expensive TBH

why post a question and then answer it yourself?? or am i missing something here??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure