Mersey flow runcorn ; anyone successfully appealed

Options

Comments

• bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    Is it time for your friend's parents to stop driving?

No idea.

As another poster has said, even when they looked for the signs they found them difficult to see. IIRC there has been a fine overturned because the signage wasn't clear enough.

Personally, I don't think the signage is great, but I think it's adequate, but then again, I can't remember about the signage the first few times I went over it. Now after about 270 crossings, I can list all the signs locations! If I compare the signage on the Runcorn bridge to that of the M6 toll, there's no comparison, M6 toll signs are far clearer.
  • bugslet
    Options
    GunJack wrote: »
    ok, not quite so bad, but would you have to go online to find that out??

...or possibly cause an accident on/near the bridge by stopping the car to read the small signs and jot down the payment methods ;)

Yes you would have to go online. There are no signs telling you that you can pay by phone or in person.
  • bugslet
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    And in that time, more than 10m vehicles have used the Gateway bridge, together with 80k/day over the Jubilee.

The VAST majority seem to have managed just fine, then.

Indeed many have, but I personally think that near on quarter of a million in five months is a lot; perhaps my expectations are higher than yours.

However, none have crossed the Jubilee since the day the New bridge opened, so that 80,000 is incorrect.
  • bugslet
    Options
    How are you getting on Mistermeaner?

In the local paper it says that Halton Council are appealing a ruling after the Traffic Penalty Tribunal ruled the tolls are illegal as they do not comply with the Transport Act 2000 because the council had not clearly specified the toll charges.

The TPT also ruled that the bridge did not have adequate signage informing motorists how and when to pay the tolls.

Both rulings are bei.g contested.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The appeal has been heard. The ruling should be announced in the next week or two.
  • unforeseen
    Options
    We just need to wait for a definitive answer on whether tolls before 19 Apr are illegal.

If so then I've got a big claim to put in to HBC.
  • park_ranger
    park_ranger Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    I don't wish to hijack this tread but I've just received two PCNs from MerseyFlow. I'm from way down in the south of England and was completely lost in the area, looking for a Halfords. Before I knew it I was on the bridge, got to the other side and then came straight back again otherwise I would have been on the wrong side of the Mersey.

I did see the signs that said 'Pay Online at MerseyFlow' (although I had no idea what MerseyFlow was) so when I got home the following day I went online to pay the tolls and that's when the system told me I couldn't pay any toll as it had been more than 24hrs since the crossing. All I could do was wait for a PCN - two of them. This seems ridiculous. I'm happy to pay the toll and am able to use the Internet but how does a stranger know what payment details were published in the local paper 'up North' I didn't notice any signs telling me what MerseyFlow was and that I had to pay within 24 hrs.

Should I start a new thread here and begin an appeals process or should I just pay the fines?
  • unforeseen
    Options
    There are signs that state you need to pay by midnight on the following day
  • park_ranger
    park_ranger Posts: 15 Forumite
    edited 15 June 2018 at 8:23AM
    Options
    Looking at a video of my crossing actually there appears to be only one sign and that is a few metres in front a a big road sign. Presumably I was concentrating on the road sign instead as I had no idea where I was going. I was unable to go online any earlier and you cannot find out about the alternative ways to pay ,eg by phone, unless you go online, which rather defeats the purpose. Had I realised I could pay by phone I would have done that at the time. Does the ruling
    http://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/news/16235179.Mersey_Gateway_fines_could_be_scrapped_af ter_landmark_ruling_upheld/ make any difference?

I'm happy to pay the toll and happy to pay a fine for not paying a toll . My objection is I wasn't sufficiently aware that I had to pay the toll within 24hrs - something I was unable to do.

Effectively, if I am unable to go online within 24 hrs, by being committed to a crossing by the time I reach a sign telling me I have to pay online within 24 hrs I am entering into a contract that I cannot possible comply with.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure