Money Moral Dilemma: Should I tell the holiday company it's refunded me twice?

Options

Comments

• battymac
    battymac Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    I am shocked anyone would ask......what happened to honesty?? We used to be one of the few cultures that respected it.
  • battymac
    battymac Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Make you a common thief.
  • John_Pierpoint
    John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 March 2019 at 6:43PM
    Options
    The Statute of Limitations "normal" type debts requires the debtor to get away with not acknowledging the debt for 6 years (5 years in Scotland I think?).

When someone dies that can be truncated. You may have noticed "small adds" in a local paper, announcing Andrew Nigel Other of 13 The Crescent Anytown has died and anyone claiming off the estate needs to prove their claim?
    Creditors have two months and one day to come forward and make their claim.

The procedure for advertising in "The Gazette" and a local paper is explained here.

https://www.co-oplegalservices.co.uk/media-centre/articles-sep-dec-2017/how-to-place-a-deceased-estates-notice/

From practical experience when you DIY it, you will get some responses from coffin chasers offering their services or trying to buy something, like the house, on the cheap.

Thus proving the mantra that an old debt is a bad debt.
  • BudgieBob
    Options
    I think it is not moral for Martin Lewis to suggest there is any possibility that anyone should keep the money. How can he say it is a question!
  • Delbert_Wilkins
    Options
    I've been quite lucky in the past. I ordered something quite expensive from a foreign website and thereafter cancelled the order. Subsequently, while I was on holiday I received an email informing the parcel was awaiting customs charges to be settled prior to releasing the item. I decided to settle the not inconsiderable amount of duties and sold the item on eBay.

Previous to that I ordered a 'special edition' item from another foreign website and received the order twice in error. As it was special edition I sold the original purchase for a healthy profit and the BOGOF item at 100% profit.

I actually think of myself as quite an honest person. If I found your wallet, purse or phone then I'd return it to you without hesitation. There's just something remote and detached about receiving something free from a faceless entity. Funny thing is I never heard a word from either company.
  • crmism
    crmism Posts: 300 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Posters on other recent topics have questioned the authenticity of some of the questions asked on this forum, and this one surely has to take the biscuit. It's either that, or the individual who posted this item is seriously in need of education about the differences between right and wrong, and honesty and dishonesty - or should I say plain theft?

Just in case the questioner still doesn't grasp what is obvious to any right-minded individual, here's my advice - give it back, it isn't your mother's or yours, and never was.
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    What does amaze me is the amount of high and mighty honest people here.
    If you found £100 on the street, I find it really hard to think you'd hand it in.

A friend of mine was refunded a £10,000 kitchen, after it was fitted.
    She hasn't said anything, the company seem to be fine.

If I could trace the owner then yes I would.

Have told shop keepers that I've been undercharged.
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What does amaze me is the amount of high and mighty honest people here.
    If you found £100 on the street, I find it really hard to think you'd hand it in.

A friend of mine was refunded a £10,000 kitchen, after it was fitted.
    She hasn't said anything, the company seem to be fine.

I'm surprised by the amount of people who seem to think it's ok to keep money that isn't theirs just because they don't have much money. They seem to be blaming their poor money skills and lack of money on big corporations and feel like they deserve the money that isn't theirs.

I once found an amount of money that was several hundred pounds. I handed it in to a bank where the person had most likely withdrawn it due to its location. I was then contacted a few days later to say it had been returned to the owner after looking at CCTV. There is not a chance I would have been happy keeping it. I much prefer the feeling of doing the right thing.
  • rallp54
    rallp54 Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hunnibee wrote: »
    Write to them informing them of a mistake and they have 14 days to respond giving clear instructions on how to repay this so you have a clear trace & so that you will receive no follow up once completed.
    Make it clear that if they haven't responded in writing within 14 days then you will assume that they do not wish to make a claim for this money.

Post it recorded delivery.

Perfect!!
    They'd make YOU jump through hoops for a refund.
  • Potbellypig
    Options
    Easy decision. Keep it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills