Redundancy in school.

Options
I hope this is the right thread but here goes anyway.......
As a teaching assistant in a school in the Salford area, today they were told that redundancies were to be implemented be it on a voluntarily basis on non- voluntarily basis. Also they were informed that if they took the redundancy that they could no longer apply for a position in a school in the Salford area. Is this correct? As everyone in the school has a career one way or another in education, but if this is correct they will limit their opportunities and have to look outside the area.

Comments

• lulu650
    lulu650 Posts: 1,158 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 February 2019 at 1:08PM
    Options
    I suspect that there is a misunderstanding.

The redundancy payment will not be paid if the redundant employee takes up a job in another school. There needs to be a break of four clear weeks (plus one day) in order to retain the payment and the new job. This doesn't just apply to Salford schools but across the UK (google "local government modification order" for more info) and I'm making the assumption that the employee does not work in an independent school.

This is the start of the consultation period and for anything that is not clearly understood by the employees at risk, then they should ask.
    Saving money right, left and centre
  • onejontwo
    onejontwo Posts: 1,089 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Let me see if I've got this correct. So in order to obtain another job in the education department in the Salford area the redundancy package has to be declined, or if taken, a job in the education department will have to be pursued outside the area ?
  • lulu650
    edited 27 February 2019 at 12:48AM
    Options
    No, you've completely misunderstood what I've said.

As I stated, the employee(s) affected need to understand they cannot be in receipt of redundancy pay and take another job in local government without a break in service. That break in service needs to be four weeks and one day. Alternatively, if there is another job in another school that will commence straight after redundancy then continuous service continues and there will be no redundancy pay.

I've directed you toward Google regarding the "local government modification order". Has that information been read at all?

I don't understand why the staff themselves aren't getting clarification from the school or, even better, through their union rather than through you as a third party.
  • onejontwo
    onejontwo Posts: 1,089 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi, thanks for the reply, I have read the "local government modification order" and get the gist of the four weeks and one day break in employment, but the question I'm really asking (but forgive me if it didn't come across very clear) is that they were told that there was an incentive of 12 weeks pay plus redundancy entitlement on offer for 4 weeks BUT if they took this then they can no longer be employed by Salford council for the next five years. and would have to look outside the area for employment in the education department.
    The meeting was with the headteacher as a group.
    Their union has made an appointment for early next week and can't really give them much advice until then which is why I seem to be chasing around getting as much info as I can.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    I'm really asking (but forgive me if it didn't come across very clear) is that they were told that there was an incentive of 12 weeks pay plus redundancy entitlement on offer for 4 weeks BUT if they took this then they can no longer be employed by Salford council for the next five years. a

not clear! you did not even mention it in the first post.

They can put a clawback/no job clause for the enhanced payment but not the statutory payment unless they offer continuity of employment.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    I would be more concerned as a taxpayer why they are throwing money they don't have to at employees.
  • lulu650
    edited 28 February 2019 at 12:40PM
    Options
    onejontwo wrote: »
    ........they were told that there was an incentive of 12 weeks pay plus redundancy entitlement on offer for 4 weeks BUT if they took this then they can no longer be employed by Salford council for the next five years.......
    So this appears to be an incentive for the staff to take voluntary retirement although I don't understand the rationale and this is unusual for maintained schools.
  • hyubh
    hyubh Posts: 3,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    lulu650 wrote: »
    So this appears to be an incentive for the staff to take voluntary retirement

Typo...? Adding the LGPS into the equation would rather complicate matters.
    although I don't understand the rationale

Enhanced voluntary redundancy scheme with a payback period of five years...?
  • lulu650
    Options
    Yes, meant voluntary redundancy.

I don't understand the rationale because I've not come across maintained schools offering enhanced redundancy as they already offer more than the statutory. I appreciate that won't apply to support staff with their lower wages though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport