We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The all new 2019 growing your own thread!

Options

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've been lurking along for a few days, after Suffolk Lass mentioned the thread, and had to join in when I saw Kantankrus Mare mention watering right now - I've been starting to wonder about winter watering, actually ... all my garlic is in pots and containers this year, I'm needing to dig up a lot of the garden to get at bramble roots. Anybody got any feedback on watering in winter? I'm actually wondering about the plants freezing with water all over them, things like that.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've never needed to water anything in Winter I must admit, so know nothing about doing it I'm afraid.

Spent a glorious few hours on my plot yesterday. Cleared a large bed and then started on the pathways and area around my shed, clearing out weeds. Thick layers of newspapers down and the mammoth task of worshipping the area. Managed 4 barrow loads before the winds defeated me. Plenty more to get done next time with more newspaper but need to be quick to get to the dwindling workshop pile.

I've got some onion sets to risk planting out next time I'm there and some flower bulbs too. Also planning to paint up a pallet, staple some liner to it and fill with compost as a planter to lay on my large woodchip area near the shed. I'm thinking flowers in that one....

Will be attempting a bonfire up there tomorrow for my visit as hopefully the winds won't be too bad.

Anyone sown anything yet? Last year I started far too early I think I so trying to curb my enthusiasm LOL
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • unrecordings
    Options
    I don't water over winter either. Finished chipping the xmas tree yesterday along with some cotoneaster (xmas tree being fairly hard to chip on its own with a cheap domestic grade chipper). That's going to get spread around the woodlandy bit at the bottom of the garden. I tend to start sowing in early Feb (maybe late Jan if I'm eager). I've got my windowsill propagators washed & ready

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Thanks both - it's the kind of off the wall enquiry that nobody writes about, so a thread of people-like-me is really useful (lurking on here, retired, single, currently living on savings about sums it up).
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I seem to have lost all my seeds. They got moved before Christmas as I needed the utility room for something. I can't find them in the greenhouse, shed -I have looked everywhere. I just wonder if my daughter has thrown them out as she is on a decluttering mission - she says not but.........

I think I'll spend the next couple of days working out exactly what I need and the cheapest way of buying them

Onions and kale in the polytunnel doing well, still got loads of leeks and potatoes in the ground but not much else. Quite a lot in store or frozen. I sometimes wonder why my shopping bills are so high having all this stored/frozen food ??
  • Dizzy_Ditzy
    Dizzy_Ditzy Posts: 17,462 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    :D Just because i can :rotfl:

I missed my local potato fair last weekend as I couldnt be in three places at once :eek: so we are off to a different one this weekend. I have my list of what I want - i want international kidney for earlies, either Pentland Javelin or Wilja and Rooster for main crops :D

I *might* have a go at growing shallots too this year. I've got 50 winter onions in and will need more but I will get those from Lidl for about 69p when the time comes.

I am still at that time of year when I can only get to the plot at weekends and on days off but the evenings are starting to get a bit lighter so that wont be for long. The only watering that gets done on my plot at the moment is multiple cans of it down the bloody rat holes that keep appearing in my chicken run. That backfired on us a couple of weeks ago and a blinking rat came back up out of the hole :eek: :eek: :eek:
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Health & Beauty, Greenfingered Moneysaving and How Much Have You Saved boards. If you need any help on these boards, please do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Oh my word at the rat :eek:

There are potato fairs?

Yes, there are: http://www.potato-days.net/

I'm very happy to know that! And there's one I can get to, as well :)
  • Dizzy_Ditzy
    Dizzy_Ditzy Posts: 17,462 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We went to a a different potato fair today as we couldn't make it to the one we normally go to. We came back with 8 different varieties, none of which we've grown before but we wanted something a bit different for us. We've gone for international kidney, wilja, casablanca, estima, kingsman, kestrel, yukon gold and rooster.

My new plot is going to be mostly potatoes this year, along with garlic, onions and some shallots. We've never grown shallots either so hopefully they'll be good :)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Health & Beauty, Greenfingered Moneysaving and How Much Have You Saved boards. If you need any help on these boards, please do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert
  • Scottish_Mike
    Options
    My seed packets are all about 5 years old now. I’m hoping they’ll all germinate this year. I don’t see why not.
    Debt free except for this blooming mortgage!
    Offsetting is the way to go!
  • devildolly
    Options
    Just had some seeds delivered, potatoes should be on there way shortly and strawberries in a couple of months.

I have just bought a cold frame which is exciting. Can anyone advise whether this would be enough to protect seedlings in this weather or should I wait a few weeks before starting things off?

Also had 60 bags of compost delivered to fill the raised beds. Another question - my cats are taking a liking to the trug and using it as a loo which is gross. To protect the beds, I'm thinking MDPE pipe and bamboo canes to make hoops for netting, but is there another way of putting up cat/insect protection on the cheap?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure