PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Rent4Sure referencing and credit score

Options
Lee_Walker
Lee_Walker Posts: 16 Forumite
First Post Debt-free and Proud!
edited 24 May 2018 at 3:33PM in House buying, renting & selling
Hi all,

I (with my wife) are currently undergoing credit checks with Rent4Sure via an Estate Agent in our area for a property we hope t move to.

I was doing some research into the company, and noticed (along with some less than favourable reviews from tenants) a sample report (cannot work out how to show an image sorry!) - easily found on their website though at /tenant-referencing after the website address - that has a credit score on it, out of 550, with less than 530 being seen as high risk.

I was under the impression they were only able to see public info like CCJ/bankruptcy etc, so how are they able to see a score, or is this score actually THEIR score based on whatever there procedures are?

I am a little worried, as I have been paying a DMP for 10 years, so my actual score is not great (one account still refuses to stop showing as a default despite paying agreed amount each month!) but I pay all my bills on time in those 10 years, have no CCJ and no bankruptcy, steady well paying job and lived at curent address on electoral register for 10+ years. Pretty much been squeaky clean for 10 years! I plan to pay the final balance on my DMP when I move, but I hope they do not get the credit score from my credit file, as they may hinder my move.

I like to overthink things, so sorry for the babbling!

Kind Regards,

Lee

Just found this which makes me feel a little better..

CallReportenables Rent4Sure to evaluate the risk of potential tenants by identifying any adverse public data such as CCJs, IVAs and Bankruptcies, which may influence a prospective tenant's likelihood to fulfil rental repayments. The service also provides confirmation of the applicants' identity by verifying details such as name, date of birth, as well as their address history. A score is then provided to Rent4Sure to offer a measure of the credit risk associated with the applicant in question, all results are provided through an automated system to offer Rent4Sure fast and accurate results which do not compromise their customer service to their clients, and reduces bad debt and fraud.

Comments

• Lee_Walker
    Lee_Walker Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Just a quick update on this, no official word yet, but I have just had a text from one of their partners trying to sell me broadband for my coming move, so would assume I have passed. I am sure they said that they would only pass on my details if the application was successful.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Remember your credit score is only seen by you, lenders and in your case Rent4Sure will see your credit history.

Whoever you checked for your report R4S might not even use them, they could well use the other 2 agencies, check your reports there.
  • lliaf12345
    Options
    Hi all,

I (with my wife) are currently undergoing credit checks with Rent4Sure via an Estate Agent in our area for a property we hope t move to.

I was doing some research into the company, and noticed (along with some less than favourable reviews from tenants) a sample report (cannot work out how to show an image sorry!) - easily found on their website though at /tenant-referencing after the website address - that has a credit score on it, out of 550, with less than 530 being seen as high risk.

I was under the impression they were only able to see public info like CCJ/bankruptcy etc, so how are they able to see a score, or is this score actually THEIR score based on whatever there procedures are?

I am a little worried, as I have been paying a DMP for 10 years, so my actual score is not great (one account still refuses to stop showing as a default despite paying agreed amount each month!) but I pay all my bills on time in those 10 years, have no CCJ and no bankruptcy, steady well paying job and lived at curent address on electoral register for 10+ years. Pretty much been squeaky clean for 10 years! I plan to pay the final balance on my DMP when I move, but I hope they do not get the credit score from my credit file, as they may hinder my move.

I like to overthink things, so sorry for the babbling!

Kind Regards,

Lee

Just found this which makes me feel a little better..

CallReportenables Rent4Sure to evaluate the risk of potential tenants by identifying any adverse public data such as CCJs, IVAs and Bankruptcies, which may influence a prospective tenant's likelihood to fulfil rental repayments. The service also provides confirmation of the applicants' identity by verifying details such as name, date of birth, as well as their address history. A score is then provided to Rent4Sure to offer a measure of the credit risk associated with the applicant in question, all results are provided through an automated system to offer Rent4Sure fast and accurate results which do not compromise their customer service to their clients, and reduces bad debt and fraud.

• lliaf12345
    Options
    Did you go through with the referencing? Me and my partner in exact same position and just the same as you I looked through the reviews and into company and can not decide if the credit score they give is from credit check or there own score as my partners credit score is 533 (no CCJ’s or Iva) however they say under 545 is a high risk but unsure if this is there own score as he has a high paying job and no adverse credit ? 
  • Lee_Walker
    Options
    We did go through with it and there were no issues at all. My score was in the bin (very good now), so I would hope that would not be and issue for you.
  • lliaf12345
    Options
    Thank you :) My score is very low due to a ccj but they have informed me as long as this is satisifed I will be fine. My partners score is 533 on credit karma (transunion) so keeping fingers crossed all is okay even though they are saying 545 is high risk im hoping this is there own marking and not based on credit score . Thank you for reassurance 
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure