How to make up the difference between benefits and bills

Options

Comments

• Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I suggest your adult sons share a room.

I have been looking for a private rental for a while and have found that there are a lot more 2 bedroomed properties than 3 bedroomed and they are much cheaper.

I have also found that about 75% of landlords will accept pets. However on the pets situation I do live in a rural area where there are a lot of older properties where pets are rarely a problem and "accepting pets" may only mean "one pet".
  • Merlinthewise
    Options
    Although I can sympathise with your situation I think you will find that most people in your situation are struggling, with the cost of rentals going up and the Housing Benefit not going up.

If you want advice from this forum it would be helpful if you stated how much your income is, not just a list of benefits. People could help you further.

It doesn't help when people who are supposed to be in a position to help others make nasty suggestions such as getting rid of pets or using them as a food source, that is really horrible and not, as one poster said, amusing.
  • bigbulldog
    bigbulldog Posts: 632 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Murphybear wrote: »
    I'm sorry, that is a horrible thing to say. Have things got so bad that the very people who are supposed to help those in trouble suggested eating their pets?

I think it's a joke,Jesus some people have no sense of humour.:):)
  • bigbulldog
    bigbulldog Posts: 632 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So you get as a household:
    PIP
    Income Support
    Carers Allowance
    Child Tax Credits (assuming FTNAE)
    Child Benefit (assuming FTNAE)
    Housing Benefit
    Countil Tax Support
    Wages

But that's not sufficient?

And they want more...
  • poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options
    bunglebus wrote: »
    Correct on both counts - son pays £30 a week, and to be fair often buys his own food/stays at his girlfriend's so doesn't cost much (mind you I was paying £120 a month out of £100 a week in 1994). I could do some part time work.

However my main question is more how are we expected to make ends meet if neither of the above was feasible? It just seems odd that the benefits are not the same as the outgoings that we must pay. More questioning the system than my own circumstances.

Surely, in your situation, it is up to you to alter your lifestyle and spending to fit your benefits received, rather than bemoan that the benefits don't fit your lifestyle.

Most people I know live a lifestyle according to how much money they have. The ones in a financial mess are the ones who don't.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • Bogalot
    Bogalot Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Options
    nannytone wrote: »
    the OP has to pay in excess of £140 a month to top up the rent of a 3 bed house.
    he may be able to get a 2 bed house nearer the LHA rate, or at least not that much over it

Remember though that their LHA rate would decrease to the two bed rate, and given that the rate is set at the 30th percentile the chances of them finding anything within the rate are minimal, don't you agree? Or were you just disagreeing for the sake of it? ;)

There would be nothing stopping the four of them moving to a two bed property. They would still qualify for the three bed rate if they did this.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP, i hope you come back to the thread, the replies aren't what you want to hear but thats how it is i'm afraid. What do you think would happen if people were paid benefits to match their lifestyle ? I work full time, have no partner and have 2 children living at home, i can't afford a dog, i manage to get by on my salary, i don't get benefits. The same applies to everyone, you have to live within your means or it gets very difficult. If you post an SOA as people have advised maybe someone could help you so that you can keep your pets and manage without having to find a part time job. Maybe not, but if you don't try you'll never know. Lots of people on here have great ideas about saving money, try it.
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Would it be possible for the children to help out with the caring duties for your wife, so that you could work part time?
  • Lanzarote1938
    Options
    The OP doesn't say how old the younger child is but it will be a big financial hit when the child related benefits for him are lost. Best to sort out finances now and live within their means before they have even less to live on.
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Savile wrote: »
    I unfortunately own my house so my two daughters aged 20 and 17 have to slum it together, If i was council tenant i could demand more! (hint of sarcasm)

you could 'demand' all you want, but that isn't the same thing as getting it!

first of all you would have to be eligible for social housing in the first place, and then wait, in some areas, MANY years for a property to become available.

just because you 'need' a certain number of bedrooms doesn't mean you would get them!

i know someone that had 7 kids in a 2 bed house.

they youngest were 4 and the eldest had left home before a 3 bed became available
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure