Saving money on brand name furniture

Options
If you're thinking of spashing out cash on some expensive furniture, eg new leather sofa or dining room furniture it's worth bearing in mind that retailers have big mark ups on brand names like G-Plan, Parker Knoll, Hammel, Ercol etc.

I used to work for an independent furniture retailer which had a handful of stores. Staff prices were cost price+20%+VAT which was a great discount! The 20% was to cover the company's costs (storage, admin etc).

Now I don't buy except during sale time. Even with a standard 25% discount the stores making a profit.

Summer sales are best because trade's slack and a saleman will be keen to secure a sale to earn his commission. Sep/Oct sales are for Xmas delivery so it can be quite busy - you've no idea how many people want a new dining room table and chairs so they have it in time for for them all to sit down for Xmas dinner! Jan sales are very busy so visit twice - the first time to browse and decide what you want, and on the second visit to place your order but go shortly after the store opens so you have no problem in finding a salesman who isn't already dealing with a customer. Also look out for extra discounts "for the first few days only". Jan sales will never finish on the first advertised date, they will be extended for at least another week.

As always it's worth haggling, especially during the summer sale. Free delivery and cleaning kits are usually good bets. Sometime they'll agree to reduce the total price can be rounded down, say from £1023.57 to £1000. ;D

Always shop around - most companies will price match - and check whether the range is coming to the end of its production life because you might get a bigger discount as the shop won't want to be left with obsolete stock.

Phew! Hope that's helpful and that I haven't bored anyone! :)
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport